Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Are rams truly nice? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/rams-truly-nice-5145/)

seo 04-19-2007 11:59 AM

Are rams truly nice?

Hello all. I've got a 29 gallon tank with

6 bloodfin tetras
2 rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
1 albino pleco

And was considering a ram or two to add into the tank. From what I hear, they're peaceful, but would anyone know if they would mesh well with my current residents? I was thinking about blue rams, but I'm not opposed to bolivian either.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Falina 04-19-2007 01:13 PM

I had problems with my pair of blue rams. One bullied the other, and both bullied other fish. This however could have been due to a number of factors:

(1) They were both male
(2) They were not introduced at the same time
(3) They were in a tank with synodontis - a territorial fish. This meant that they were unable to claim the cave as their territory and so resorted to bullying each other and other tank mates. Eventually I had to give the rams away.

As gouramis are territorial fish, if I were you, I would get other opinions as you may or may not have the same problem as what I had with the rams and synodontis.

They are generally a peaceful fish however (except when they spawn but this is rare) so I think the chances of you having problems are slim, but like I said, wait for another opinion about the rams with the gourami.

leifthebunny 04-19-2007 02:12 PM

Mine only peck at each other, but it's a South American tank and currently, the female apisto thinks she's in charge. I've heard GBRs work well in a community tank.

Amphitrite 04-19-2007 02:44 PM

I kept a pair of blue rams in my community tank (one male, one female), and never had any problems with aggression. All other tanks inhabitants were very peaceful though.

I think it's partly a matter of luck and the only thing I would watch as already mentioned above, is keeping them with gouramis.

Lupin 04-20-2007 04:40 AM

Blue rams are quite pretty.:love: I would suggest them more than the bolivian rams.:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by juliewiegand
(2) They were not introduced at the same time

Even when introduced at the same time, the chances of them bullying each other compared to introducing them at various time intervals is still the same. I would advise adding plenty of plants and slates for them to establish their territories.

Seo: None of your fish are likely to be a problem with the blue rams as long as the blue rams are not kept singly where the chances of them resorting to bullying other fish is very much possible. Keep a watch on your other tankmates. If anyone shows signs of weakening due to various factors including diseases, the blue rams are often likely to bully the sick fish to death. New fish in particular are also vulnerable to the attacks of the rams. Remember that any new fish are considered total strangers or intruders.

Rams are still cichlids so their personalities vary as mentioned previously by Kate.:)

Good luck.:)

seo 04-20-2007 08:17 AM

Thank you all for your input! It is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if I'd be better off getting another gourami or 2 rams. I think I might go with the rams and cross my fingers! Nothing in my tank swims slowly so hopefully everyone will "play nice"!

Thanks guys!