Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Lightening Strikes Twice! Now I have two pairs of spawning Discus! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/lightening-strikes-twice-now-i-have-51443/)

aunt kymmie 09-12-2010 02:11 PM

Lightening Strikes Twice! Now I have two pairs of spawning Discus!

I keep a 100gl Discus display tank. I had 6 Discus, two of which are a spawning pair. A few weeks back I added two more Discus to the tank. Yesterday they surprised me by spawning right in the middle of a feeding. So, out of eight Discus I now have two spawning pairs! The attached video is a little blurry as I went running for the camera and didn't get it set up properly, I was too excited to think straight. I'm thrilled. I think I'm going to rename my tank. Instead of "Discus Display" I'm going to start calling it "The Love Shack". :love2:

My Blue Diamond and Red Turquiose doing "The Dance":

YouTube - Second Pair

badxgillen 09-12-2010 05:08 PM

lucky lucky

lucky....congradulations ... i would be ecstatic as well ... you just needed to mix it up a little and presto huh? ..pic???...ADIOS...

aunt kymmie 09-12-2010 05:25 PM

Pics and Vids are under my aquarium tab under my user name to the left.
Yep, I'm pretty happy. Not because I have any intentions on raising any fry but more because I know they are happy and comfortable in my tank and I'm doing "right" by them. :-D

badxgillen 09-12-2010 06:02 PM

cool

instant success...i like the vid ....i would love to see the outcome of fry...and thanks for that perspective i often forget that due to the fact that i work in the pet trade...happy fish make happy peoples...ADIOS...

Romad 09-12-2010 06:17 PM

Yay!! Good for you Kym. Your fish are beautiful.

Inga 09-12-2010 06:45 PM

You must have magic water over there. Congrats on your happy fish, Kymmie.

aunt kymmie 09-12-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 470158)
You must have magic water over there. Congrats on your happy fish, Kymmie.

I know, I get my water from the same place Byron does. ;-)
Thanks for the kind comments. I love my fishies!

jeaninel 09-12-2010 09:45 PM

Wow, that's so cool! Hopefully soon you'll have little baby Discus swimming around. You can make some good money selling the youngsters. It'll help pay for your fish addiction. LOL

dfbiggs 09-12-2010 10:15 PM

How cool. That was perfect timing huh..it's rare to catch nature at its best. Congratulations! Nice tanks and discus too..I think I will talk my husband into a yellow fellow.

aunt kymmie 09-12-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 470320)
How cool. That was perfect timing huh..it's rare to catch nature at its best. Congratulations! Nice tanks and discus too..I think I will talk my husband into a yellow fellow.

Danielle- Are you already keeping Discus? I think I read somewhere that you were but don't see it listed under your aquariums tab.
I know this is going to sound REALLY geeky but I keep track on the calendar when they spawn.
(meaning my first mated pair, not the two new ones) Based on the number of days on the calendar and the way they flutter at each other I know *almost* exactly when it's going to happen.
I've gotten good enough at predicting that four of my friends have been over to see it.
All of my friends call me a fish kook but they are just as entralled watching these fish as I am.