Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cleaning sand substrate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cleaning-sand-substrate-514/)

jsm11482 09-17-2006 06:53 PM

Cleaning sand substrate
 
do any of you have sand as a substrate? if so how do u clean it??

joeshmoe 09-17-2006 06:57 PM

i have no igea i think you hover the vac over the sand . (p.s you have move some of the around so u dont get "dead spots")

Lupin 09-17-2006 07:38 PM

Detritus stay on top of the sand, not the bottom. So it's easy to remove detritus. Siphon in a slant way to prevent the sand from getting sucked.
You have to stir the sand frequently to prevent production of anaerobic spots.
If you have cories, then they will lessen the burden for you as cories love to forage the sand. Pls do add kuhli loaches as they love burying under the sand and you'll find that this will lessen further your burdens to stir them.

jsm11482 09-17-2006 08:25 PM

thanks guys. once the tank is cycled i will look into getting a couple kuhli loaches.

Lupin 09-17-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
thanks guys. once the tank is cycled i will look into getting a couple kuhli loaches.

I'd get 6 or more if I were you. 6 is the most recommended for minimum numbers. Less number of kuhlis make them not so bold and will hide most of the time.

jsm11482 09-17-2006 10:30 PM

6 in a 15gal? This tank is primarily just to grow plants but a few fish is ok. but is 6 too many?

Lupin 09-17-2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
6 in a 15gal? This tank is primarily just to grow plants but a few fish is ok. but is 6 too many?

In my opinion, it's not too many. Neither are kuhlis big poopers compared to loricariids.
I have 10 when about 25 should fit but money is tight.:mrgreen: :bluelaugh:

kevilknc 09-18-2006 07:49 PM

I'm curious about sand as a substrate as well...I'm thinking about getting a figure 8 puffer and have read that they are brackish fish that enjoy a sand substrate. Will simple play sand suffice? I've thought that perhaps this is too bright of a substrate and will irritate the puffer. Also, how often is it necessary to stir the sand to prevent anaerobic spots?

thanks

jsm11482 09-18-2006 07:54 PM

I just used play sand from home depot and don't see any issues yet....

Lupin 09-18-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevilknc
I'm curious about sand as a substrate as well...I'm thinking about getting a figure 8 puffer and have read that they are brackish fish that enjoy a sand substrate. Will simple play sand suffice? I've thought that perhaps this is too bright of a substrate and will irritate the puffer. Also, how often is it necessary to stir the sand to prevent anaerobic spots?

thanks

You have to stir it frequently and after doing water changes.

If you want figure-8 puffers, ensure your tank is large and no fish should be put in there as puffers tend to nip.

You'll need a hydrometer to check the salinity of water.

Juveniles will thrive in freshwater but as they grow, they'll be needing salt conditions to fluorish.
For brackish water, 1.024 should be the salinity measurement.
1.025 for marine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2