Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Josh's Plant Farm

7K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
Just took these pics of my tank/plant progress. Camera sucks so the fishies are blurry since they swim so fast all the time.

*** UPDATED 9-24-06 ***
Left Saturday morning to go to my dad's to work on the aquarium cabinet, came back sunday evening and plants had grown crazily. Here are some pics from tonight (from my cell phone so its crappy). Please notice the second image, the really long 'stalk' grew at least a foot while I was gone. How is that possible?

Please verify species if possible (of either plant).

*** UPDATED 9-26-06 ***
Plants are still growing like crazy. One of them has grow all the way to the top of the tank and is wrapping around the top. It is also flowering at the end. I think it might be some kind of water lilly...any ideas?

This is the flowering I was talking about. I held it under the water to get a good pic (sorry the pic still sucks - getting a new cam next month). Naturally it floats on the top of the water.

*** UPDATED 10-5-06 ***
Added 4 Amano Shrimp. Plants are huge. Cycle is done!

Please help identify the plants!!

See less See more
#4 ·
cool, thanks! When we left today around noon the corkscrew had 2 grass strands, when we cam back around 630 the third 1 inch one had shown up!

#6 ·
Yup, the tubing going into the filter intake is from a CO2 canister. Its super easy to build one btw (althought mine is store bought), all you need is an empty 1liter, some sugar, water and some yeast to generate CO2!!

#9 ·
crazie.eddie said:
That's allot of sand! LOL
Well the bottom is actually vermiculite, then about an inch of sand over that. Since this is mainly a plant-farm. So far the plants seem to be growing pretty fast, at least 1/4" per day so I think it is working!

#10 ·
Added 2 new pics to first post, have a look! (thanks)

#11 ·
Please see the pic labeled "WTF" above, the arrow points to the end of the plant, it is like 2 feet long (that one "stalk" only)....

Can someone please explain to me how this one "stalk" grew over a foot in one day/over night?? Also, can I cut this "stalk" and replant it so it will start another plant?

:dunno:

#13 ·
joeshmoe said:
lol i dont no you got a good growing tank. :wink: there mine still the same :cry:
Well, it's because he has a DIY CO2 system.:wink2:
Maybe try to setup your own CO2 system and I'll have 3 threads to merge.:checkedout::bluelaugh:

jsm11482 said:
Can someone please explain to me how this one "stalk" grew over a foot in one day/over night??
You did have good lighting, sufficient nutrients and CO2 to make your plants grow incredibly.:dunno:

#15 ·
Any confirmation on the species? I know the pix suck...I plan on buying a kickass camera in a week so be patient! :squint:

#16 ·
New pics added to first post, please help identify! I think the plant on the left is some kind of water lily as it is growing to the top of the tank and flowering.

#17 ·
jsm11482 said:
New pics added to first post, please help identify! I think the plant on the left is some kind of water lily as it is growing to the top of the tank and flowering.
Josh, your plant is almost impossible to identify.:roll:
Can you try a close up pic?
The appearance of your plant seems to suggest that it looks a species of Cryptocoryne.
If it were a lily, then it could be Nymphaea but your pic shows neither is it a Nymphaea species.:dunno:

#18 ·
I can't get a closer pic on account that my camera sucks (new one next month, i think - cant wait!) but I am pretty sure it is not Cryptocoryne. It has 2-3' shoots that reach the top of the water and wrap around, on the end of one is a flower - at least the beginning of a flower. This must be a water lily, I am almost certain.

#19 ·
Just added 3 new pics to first post! You can surely identify the plants this time!!

#20 ·
jsm11482 said:
Just added 3 new pics to first post! You can surely identify the plants this time!!
Ouch. If only you just post pics in the new post.:mrgreen: Then it lessens the burdens of trying to edit your first post.:crazy:

#21 ·
But it also makes reading the thread easier...i think....

#22 ·
jsm11482 said:
But it also makes reading the thread easier...i think....
Lol...yes.:thumbsup:
Frustrating...My dial-up with Speed Booster makes your pic blurry.:frustrated: I'll try to help you identify the plants if I can.:)
I can only make a guess that your plant with red leaves looks like Nymphaea stellata.:thumbsup:

I have that plant and it grows like crazy in my tank.:blink: No ferts and CO2 at all.:dunno:

#23 ·
Thanks Blue. Sorry that you are suffering with dialup :demented:

#24 ·
jsm11482 said:
Thanks Blue. Sorry that you are suffering with dialup :demented:
:frustrated: Very frustrating that I'll need Speed Booster just to hasten the downloading process.:redmad:

#25 ·
any updates on plant growth and pics?

#26 ·
Yes, I added new pics to the FIRST post of this thread (http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=683&start=0). Is this confusing to people? I just keep editing the first post so that all the pics are there, in order and dont clutter the body of the thread. Plus it really shows how well the plants are growing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.