Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Yellow Lab Cichlid Holding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/yellow-lab-cichlid-holding-51235/)

Greensparrow 09-09-2010 04:00 PM

Yellow Lab Cichlid Holding

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the site and was curious if someone could help answer a couple of questions. I have a Yellow Lab Cichlid that has been holding since Sunday (9/5). At first the male seemed to protect her while she was hiding in her cave. If any other fish got near her he would chase them away. That went on all day Sunday. Well I came home Monday afternoon and I noticed that he was constantly chasing her around the tank. Is this natural? I know she will not try to eat during the holding period and figured that she needs to conserve all the energy she can. I currently have put a divider in my 125 gallon tank till I can figure out if this is a normal process. Should they be separated during the holding period? Or should I keep them together? My other question is concering the divider... I currently have an expandable window screen from Home Depot in the tank and it seems to work for bigger fish, but there is space on the sides and I am worried once she releases the fry they will be able to fit through and become a delicious snack for my other cichlids. Is there a divider out there that I can purchase that will fit my tank? I have a 125 gallon tank (72x18x22). I have searched several websites and gone to a couple of my LFS and still can't not find the correct size. I know most people might say to get a breeding tank, but I currently have another 60 gallon tank with puffer fish and so don't have the room or outlets to added another tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

car0linab0y 10-26-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greensparrow (Post 467799)
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the site and was curious if someone could help answer a couple of questions. I have a Yellow Lab Cichlid that has been holding since Sunday (9/5). At first the male seemed to protect her while she was hiding in her cave. If any other fish got near her he would chase them away. That went on all day Sunday. Well I came home Monday afternoon and I noticed that he was constantly chasing her around the tank. Is this natural? I know she will not try to eat during the holding period and figured that she needs to conserve all the energy she can. I currently have put a divider in my 125 gallon tank till I can figure out if this is a normal process. Should they be separated during the holding period? Or should I keep them together? My other question is concering the divider... I currently have an expandable window screen from Home Depot in the tank and it seems to work for bigger fish, but there is space on the sides and I am worried once she releases the fry they will be able to fit through and become a delicious snack for my other cichlids. Is there a divider out there that I can purchase that will fit my tank? I have a 125 gallon tank (72x18x22). I have searched several websites and gone to a couple of my LFS and still can't not find the correct size. I know most people might say to get a breeding tank, but I currently have another 60 gallon tank with puffer fish and so don't have the room or outlets to added another tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's too late for this batch of fry, but what I do is put my holding females in a separate tank until they spit. All the equipment you need for the fry tank is areation and heat. A 5g will suffice for a fry tank, just keep up with the water changes.