Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Problem with filter intake sucking up fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/problem-filter-intake-sucking-up-fish-5111/)

pbradley0 04-18-2007 09:36 AM

Problem with filter intake sucking up fish

I have a problem with fish getting stuck to my filter intake line. I've found two fish on two separate occasions dead and stuck to my filter. The first one was a perfectly healthy large black neon tetra and the second was just a regular neon tetra. I don't think they died and then the filter just happen to suck them up because both fish were doing perfectly fine the day before. MY tank is a 55 gal with a Rena FilStar XP2 canister filter. Any ideas on how to keep fish from getting stuck?

Falina 04-18-2007 09:39 AM

i have read some posts saying that they have put pantyhose (i think this is tights? if not hopefully you know what it is because if its not tights then im at a loss?) over the intake to stop small fish getting sucked in

sorry about your fish

Trishfish 04-18-2007 08:15 PM

How long has your tank been set up and what are your water parameters? I have small neon tetras and they have no trouble at all. I can't imagine a healthy fish would get stuck onto the intake.

leifthebunny 04-18-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trishfish
I have small neon tetras and they have no trouble at all. I can't imagine a healthy fish would get stuck onto the intake.

I watch my rudolph red-nose shrimp feed off the intake all the time and they are about the size of small neons.

Lupin 04-18-2007 10:06 PM

I can only presume the input flow is far too strong. Sponge will remedy your problem. Wrap it around the strainer. It is possible for healthy fish to get sucked. I had experienced that before with my powerhead killing almost half of the tetras I kept 5 years ago.:shake: I reused the powerhead again this time locking the strainer with a tube connecting the sponge. But that's because I used the Hydor Sponge Filter brand.8)

englandbloke 04-19-2007 10:46 AM

i had this problem ages ago with small fish. in the end i just put the end under the gravel so they wouldnt get sucked up to the end. the water flow was still ok, wasnt as great as it was but it was still good enough and didnt realy have much choice.

Joan 04-28-2008 11:10 AM

I just had 2 rasboras, a neon tetra and the tail of a rasbora get sucked into or next to a whisper filter. I created a contraption that solved the problem. I took plastic needlepoint canvas (it is sold in any craft store), rolled it into a cylinder slighly wider than the filter tube, and then closed the canvas with rubberbands all the way up the canvas. I kept the canvas long. It runs from the top of the filter tube to the gravel at the bottom of the aquarium. I did this so fish won't swim up the canvas. So far, so good! This easy contraption has worked for me.[/quote]

Gump 04-29-2008 04:02 AM

A healthy tetra should have no problem not getting stuck to an intake. I have guppies in a tank with a FX5 and have never had a problem. When i was into breeding cichlids I used the foam pads from fluval canister filters and just wrapped them around the inktake and used some fishing line to tie it off. It didnt restrict the flow and the little fry didnt get sucked up.

FishGirl 05-17-2008 11:56 AM

I used an AquaClear sponge filter for a 30 gallon tank. I poked a hole in it and slid it over my intake. It kind of prefilters the water coming in but doesn't stress the motor of my filter like a stocking or a clogged piece of netting would/did.

I found a 1/2 inch neon still barely alive inside my filter when cleaning it. But the primary reason I got the sponge was because I lost three mystery snails (one the first time and two the second time) due to their squeezing their heads and foots into the intake, swelling and not being able to withdraw themselves. They were all dead when I found them.

The sponge works well. I only have to rinse it out as a part of my regular WCs.

I was thinking of doing the same on my fry tank, with a smaller sponge.

herefishy 05-17-2008 12:00 PM

+1 in using a sponge prefilter. It will restrict water flow though. So, it is a give and take solution.