Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Pleco with one white eye. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/pleco-one-white-eye-5105/)

Lavawax 04-18-2007 12:28 AM

Pleco with one white eye.

I noticed my common pleco upside down hardly breathing on the 16th of April. I changed out 50% of the water. I thought, that might help. it did, abit. pleco was right side up and moving about, sluggishly. I got home from work, pleco looked healthier. I changed out some more water. Cleaned the filter and replaced the medium. Thing is, my pleco has a "clouded" eye. It's white. The PH was very low. about 6.2, probably lower. I'm in the process of fixing that. I also have 2 very large tin foil barbs in my 20 gallons. They seem to be fine. Any thoughts, would be appriciated.

I'd hate to throw an alive fish in the trash.

Falina 04-18-2007 05:11 AM

what are your water parameters? amonia, nitrite and nitrate? when you cleaned the filter and changed the pads did you change everything or just one pad? its recommended only to change one pad at at time so as not to destroy all your beneficial bacteria, otherwise youll end up with an amonia spike. test your water, if you have amonia and/or nitrite, dont worry. do water changes, 30% every 2 or 3 days and this will bring it down.

barbs can be quite nippy. is it possible they nipped the plecs eye??

Lavawax 04-18-2007 06:54 AM

It is quite possible. the larger of the 2 barbs is extremely aggresive.

the smaller tin foil barb has grown with "laid back" gills.

I bought all 3 at the same time. Should, I throw em into my creek and start from stracth?

Falina 04-18-2007 10:15 AM

throw them into the creek? as far as i know its highly illegal to release fish into the wild - it can bring about a lot of disease and would, depending on where you live, be fatal for the fish.

if you want to start again take them to a fish store, as long as theyre healthy (so this is your barbs, not the plec) any independant fish store would take them back. and they might be willing to give you a small discount on your next fish

i should also add that tinfoil barbs are very large barbs. they grow to about 15" max, and so would need to come out of your 20g soon anyway for their health so it may be a good idea to return your barbs.

what type of plec? most plecs grow to about a foot long as well. unfortunately fish stores arent usually very good at warning us how big fish will eventually get :(

daisycutter 04-18-2007 03:35 PM

don't trow anything into any creek unless it came from there to start with most aquatic dealers will accept unwanted fish this is why you should do your homework first

Age of Aquariums 04-18-2007 03:52 PM

It sounds like it may be really stressed.

Lavawax 04-18-2007 06:56 PM

I saved the pleco. Changed out pretty much all of the water. Not at one time!

Pleco is thriving. I'm going to get out and by him some alge tabs.

All is good. Thank you, everyone, for your input.

PH is back to normal Too!