Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Albino Cory Cat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/albino-cory-cat-51011/)

Brandmaner 09-06-2010 11:16 AM

Albino Cory Cat

I bought 2 what I was told are peppered corys (They looked pretty dang close the the profile we have on them.) and 2 albino cory cats ... The 2 albinos have beenn swimming middle to top of the tank often.. not always just often. But the 2 peppered cats only hang out on the bottom.. is this normal behavior for either? Or is there something wrong with the fish? Or could they still be getting use to there new home? Well thanks in advance and I do plan to get at least 3 more of each speices.. in a 95G... Is there room for other speices of corys..? Or for that fact maybe some dwarf sized loaches in a good group of 5 or so.. I like bottom activity but I do have ghost shrimp and a fiddler crab also so rember then when offering me suggestions! I am taking another water sample to my LFS to get my exact permeters.. they always just tell me it's good... .But never in detail this time I'm going to ask thanks!

Byron 09-06-2010 11:46 AM

Various corys can react differently when they are introduced to a new (to them) tank. Some settle in immediately, others charge up and down the sides for hours or even days.

If you have a 95 gallon tank, yes, you have lots of room for more cory species. A group of 5 of each species works well, and you could have several different species.

Romad 09-06-2010 11:49 AM

I have 5 albino cories in my 75 gallon. Two of them hang out at the bottom pretty much exclusively with the occasional slap at the top of the water during feeding time.

The other 3 zip all over the front of the tank but they're fairly new to the tank (5 days). I expect they'll settle down like the others once they're acclimated.

sik80 09-06-2010 12:56 PM

my cories seem to go through periods when they'll 'climb the walls'. When i first got them they did it a lot but its less frequent now. I'm not sure if this is because they're more settled or because they're older or what. They seem to swim this way more in the evenings too...?

kitten_penang 09-06-2010 02:29 PM

i bet if they had lots of hiding place they will acclimate better and be less stressed

Calmwaters 09-06-2010 08:52 PM

I have had lots of different kinds of corys and it has been my experiance that the albinos are always extremly active compared to the others. They swim all over my 55 gallon up and down, back and forth it seems like they are almost never still except when they are resting late at night when the lights are off the others just seem to stay along the bottom and they are active to just not all over the tank like the albinos. They did the same thing when I had some in my 45 gallon also. I have lots of plants and they are always exploreing them and I have 6 albino corys so there not stressed just active. Please do get more asap they are so much happier in groups. Before I knew better I had just one in a 10 gallon tank with other fish and he would always hide but now I know better.

Brandmaner 09-06-2010 09:27 PM

Awsome.. one more questions about Corys in general.. will they eat guppy fry? My female guppy had a few fry I seen earlier this evening now I'm not seeing them.. sadly they are in there with quiet a few bigger fish.. but pleanty of places to hide for them that other fish can't really reach. I hope to save some of the females and males from the batch if not this one hopefully in 25days or so I can have a better tank for her next batch! let me know what I should do for a breeding take if this idea fails in my main setup!

kitten_penang 09-06-2010 11:22 PM

i think with a little floating plants on top the babies should be fine :-D

1077 09-07-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 465434)
Various corys can react differently when they are introduced to a new (to them) tank. Some settle in immediately, others charge up and down the sides for hours or even days.

If you have a 95 gallon tank, yes, you have lots of room for more cory species. A group of 5 of each species works well, and you could have several different species.

+one, do also consider that most literature states that the fiddler crab you have is brackish water creature that seldom lasts long in freshwater aquaria .
The cory's will not do well in brackish water.(salt)
The fiddler crabs also need somewhere to haul themselves out of the water on occasion.

Brandmaner 09-07-2010 06:25 AM

My fiddler can get out of the water.. but I didn't know he was brackish :o Everything I've read about him said he was pure freshwater. But to Kittens answer.. I have floating letteuce for my snails.. that the LFS recommended even though it seems 4 days later the same 3 pieces are still floating.. any suggestions what to feed my snails? And I'm going to LFS today again like always maybe buy a few more plants and some floating ones also :D!