Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Another Newbie (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/another-newbie-50938/)

zambit 09-05-2010 07:19 AM

Another Newbie

Hello,
I have just set up a new aquarium for the first time. I don't have fish yet- just getting the aquarium water ready. My tank in 37 gallons and I plan to add community tropical fish. I am glad I found this site because I want to make sure I set up everything right and plan to use it to log my maintenance and fish.

A little about me- I am a houseparent in PA. I work for a school for children in need and 8-10 children live with me in the school's housing. It's like a cross between being a teacher and a parent. My girls are very excited about the aquarium!

Thank you for all the help on this site and in the forum!

Tracy (zambit)

Romad 09-05-2010 07:29 AM

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you and your girls will have endless fun setting up and enjoying your community tank.

We're here to help you along the way.

tanker 09-05-2010 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum. :-)

Inga 09-05-2010 08:12 AM

Welcome to the forum! It is always nice to welcome someone new. Are you going to have a planted tank? Real plants in a community tank are absolutely beautiful. Just food for thought. :)

fish joey 09-05-2010 08:22 AM

welcome :lol: what a wonderful project... it will be of fun for everyone!

zambit 09-05-2010 09:33 AM

Thank you for the welcome! I am going to have live plants. I have already added 2 moss balls, some java moss, and 2 other plants that I forgot their names. I think I will get a few more, because it is still a little sparse.

Inga 09-05-2010 10:14 AM

Can you post a picture of your tank with plants? Maybe someone can help identify the plants you have and suggest some others that will work well for you. Planted tanks are the best, in my opinion. Now that I have one, I won't have another tank with fake plants. Unless I go completely Cichlid someday. Though I think I would still try to work some live plants into that tank as well.

badxgillen 09-05-2010 11:45 AM

cool beans

i have three children...two have severe autism...the fish tanks are an awesome outlet for any children...not to mention you....this is the site if you have questions....we got answers.....or opinions anyway....hope you have an informative time the folks here are very nice.....keep us posted and you should have a smooth intro to your new tank...good luck and droope us a line soon...ADIOS....

kitten_penang 09-05-2010 12:24 PM

hi an welcome. i believe every home has to have a community aquarium ^.^

zambit 09-05-2010 02:49 PM

Pictures coming soon...
Meanwhile, Question- I got a lovely piece of driftwood from my aquarium store, soaked it and rinsed it before putting it in my tank. Now I know it's driftwoo, but is it really supposed to float? Mine is bobbing away at the top of the tank. Will it eventually get saturated enough to sink to the bottom or do I need to weigh it down?