Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Mixing Red Cherry Shrimp with other shrimp species...Who has done this? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/mixing-red-cherry-shrimp-other-shrimp-50928/)

dfbiggs 09-05-2010 12:04 AM

Mixing Red Cherry Shrimp with other shrimp species...Who has done this?

I know, I know..you aren't supposed to mix them because they can cross-breed and it would break all the rules of fishkeeping etiquette. I was just wondering who has done this and what the results were.

kitten_penang 09-05-2010 01:42 AM

really..i guessed i din't get that memo.i keep mine with ghost and some people i know are trying to breed sakura with snowballs

dfbiggs 09-05-2010 03:08 AM

yeah..its supposed to be the "proper" fishkeepers rule..but I don't see why it even matters if they cross breed the are already unnatural.. Also according to the Shrimp compatibility chart they have ghost shrimp as a possible threat to RCS..I guess they may pick off sick or small ones..but I don't know..info came from a shrimp "expert"

How big of a tank do you have them in?

kitten_penang 09-05-2010 04:27 AM

oh my.that must be the reason i don't have a lot of babies swimming around

dfbiggs 09-05-2010 04:30 PM

I dont either..and I have no ghosts. Maybe my shrimp are like me and would rather not have babies :)

aunt kymmie 09-05-2010 05:02 PM

Danielle- Check your PMs. I just sent you a compatability chart. I would have posted it here but I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement! :lol:

dfbiggs 09-05-2010 05:21 PM

Thanks! That was a better compatibilty chart than the one I have been referring to...It does bring up a question..it stated "A simple rule is that you cannot put any shrimp of the same genus together." but I have read it over..maybe I am not understanding it correctly..but I don't think it says why...is it just because you will make an ugly mut?...if that is the case...I like ugly muts..

aunt kymmie 09-06-2010 10:13 PM

Me too, I love ugly mutts! I think it has more to do with messing with the genetics, as far as shrimp for resell. What you do in your personal at home tank is your business. I think these charts are for shrimp breeders, and that breeding genus to genus yields subpar specimens. At least that's what I *think*.

kitten_penang 09-06-2010 11:17 PM

lol they can choose to be preggie or not :shock:

dfbiggs 09-07-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 465962)
Me too, I love ugly mutts! I think it has more to do with messing with the genetics, as far as shrimp for resell. What you do in your personal at home tank is your business. I think these charts are for shrimp breeders, and that breeding genus to genus yields subpar specimens. At least that's what I *think*.

Thanks! makes sense..I was just worried it would cause bad genetic disfigurement or something that would make the shrimp have a bad quality of life. I have been looking at a lot of shrimp info and never came across life threatening disfigurements...which is common with some fish. So I will go with it is highly unlikely for this to happen.