Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Breeding Red Cherry Shrimp! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/breeding-red-cherry-shrimp-50914/)

Brandmaner 09-04-2010 09:44 PM

Breeding Red Cherry Shrimp!

Not sure if this should go under breeding... or inverts so it went under inverts. If I'm in the wrong section please move me moderators!

Anyhow down to my question... I am thinking of raising red cherry shrimp OR Glass shrimp (Ghost shrimp) for my LFS. I was in there today and she was talking about how she wished she had more GS or even the ability to stock RCS but she said it wasn't possible at all for the RCS because it cost her almost 2.25$ a shrimp, and tring to sell them for even 3.00$ each was nearly impossible. So I struck a deal with her if I could get them to breed 1.00$ a shrimp, and she could resell for 1.75-2.00$ a shrimp pretty easily. And as for the ghost shrimp she has those now for 0.47$ Each, and said if I started suppling her with a good number weekly/ bi-weekly she'd buy them for 0.15$ each. So I am tring to help out a local fish shop.. the only one I know of within 50miles besides 4 wal-marts and 2 petcos :x.

So the question... after my rambling story above is.. which would be easier to keep, I do wish to try both, but one at a time. I have a 10Gallon tank that is empty (just found it when cleaning my shed.) and I have a perfect place to put it under my community tank (95G) inside the stand. I have access to run all wires needed and pleanty of room to do water changes, adjustments as needed, and for lights to sit in there since I plan to heavily plant it.

Well thanks in advance for any ad all helpful information!

-Brandmaner - Fish/Invert Keeper in training!

kitten_penang 09-05-2010 02:28 AM

it doesnt really need to be heavily planted.you'll need the ADA soil that looks like balls of compact soil.have java fern or any other moss for the babies and eggs to be hidden. and eloda.my tank is always kept at 28 degrees as for water make sure theres no heavy metals in it like copper.it will kill the shrimps.so if you want the cheap way plant eloda they aren't fussy plants and they are also easy to get.

Brandmaner 09-05-2010 11:31 AM

Well I'm guessing my water is okay for shrimps because I have about 10 Ghost shrimp in my 95G community tank I just started and they are doing great.. so much fun to watch too! But Thanks Kitten as always I love hearing your comments and suggestions! Do you think a 10G tank would be big enough? The area I am putting the tank in mean it has to be less than 11 inches high... but could be as wide as 15inches from front glass to back glass and as long as like... 50inches lol. That'd be one weird tank, but I'd be able to breed more then one speices of smaller shrimps wouldn't I? I might have a custom made tank for it, I could put dividers in it also with little holes so the water is still in all chambers. Just an idea!

kitten_penang 09-05-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 464755)
Well I'm guessing my water is okay for shrimps because I have about 10 Ghost shrimp in my 95G community tank I just started and they are doing great.. so much fun to watch too! But Thanks Kitten as always I love hearing your comments and suggestions! Do you think a 10G tank would be big enough? The area I am putting the tank in mean it has to be less than 11 inches high... but could be as wide as 15inches from front glass to back glass and as long as like... 50inches lol. That'd be one weird tank, but I'd be able to breed more then one speices of smaller shrimps wouldn't I? I might have a custom made tank for it, I could put dividers in it also with little holes so the water is still in all chambers. Just an idea!

well do you have plants or carbon in the 95 ? i lost quite a lt of rcs because of the fert and water problem i had.wouldn't want that to happen to you :-D yup a 10 gallon should be fine for a rcs breeding tank.just make sure you have plants like eloda hanging around.moss would be perfect :-D lots of breeders use hikari food products and blanched veggies to feed the shrimp.oh yeah i forgot to tell you they like the water cool if they are the same species you wouldn't need the chambers but if you wanted to breed more then one species then go ahead :-D

badxgillen 09-05-2010 04:18 PM

shrimpy

the two shrimps you want to breed are cake...just leave them to there own devices with good water quality and presto...i personaly keep a never ending supply of cherry and ghost shrimps in a ten gallon aquarium with a simple sponge filter....java moss is definitly your best bet as a plant for increasing fry survival rates i also use matila fiber...its nice because it keeps its structure when you have to move it ..remember if you are keeping multiple shrimps in the same tank to provide for there feeding habits as in the case with the ghost and cherry...keep the ghosts heavily fed with just about any food as they are excelent scavengers and it will help keep them from snacking on baby cherries...supplement some algae based foods as well....good luck you wont need it ....ADIOS....

Brandmaner 09-05-2010 07:31 PM

Thanks guys. But I think I'm just going to end up with 2 seperate 10Gallon tanks one for each speices of shrimp. But thats a work in progess for the future no time soon. As for the 95G stuff to you Kitten.. I use no Fertilizer yet so.. yea lol. Just put a bag of Eco-Complete and a java fern and its takin off with nothing more then sunlight and the Eco-Complete :D

kitten_penang 09-06-2010 01:05 AM

eco complet has fert in the soil and with a single plant i dont think it will be needing any fert for a month lol. mines doing well without fert and it's been a month but soon i'll be needing liquid as the nutrients in the soil get depleted =p good luck with the shrimps

Brandmaner 09-06-2010 12:01 PM

Alright what am I suppose to make sure the fert doesn't have??

kitten_penang 09-06-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 465386)
Alright what am I suppose to make sure the fert doesn't have??

high amounts of copper.if you get seachems flourish they do have copper but it makes up a small percentage of it in trace amounts so it wont affect the shrimp that much.

Blaxicanlatino 09-16-2010 04:58 PM

wow only 3$ ?! the only pet store that sells cherry shrimp where i live is the Dallas North Aquarium and they sell the cherry shrimps for 5$ each!!!!!!!!!! lol i just bought 4 but they refuse to breed T_T but i keep tryin :D I think you will have alot of success. I think they like warm water (78 F i think)