Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What fertiliser? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-fertiliser-50889/)

Welsh 09-04-2010 03:58 PM

What fertiliser?

Is it worth getting seachem fert? My lighting systems aren't high tech just what came with the tank which is 15watts and thats all I know since there is nothing written on the bulbs, so i'm stocking up on my fish tank stuff and wanted to try a different fert to see if it makes a difference to my plants, what would you suggest?

Byron 09-04-2010 04:01 PM

In a low-tech system (low light, no CO2) the best fertilizer I have come across is Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. It has all nutrients in proportion, and use once a week may be sufficient, or twice if you have heavy-feeding plants like swords. Plants need these nutirents, and all of them are unlikely to be available just from water, fish food, etc.

I have beeb using Flourish for two years and I am very happy with the plant's response.

Byron.

Welsh 09-04-2010 04:36 PM

Is this one you were talking about?

Charterhouse Aquatics: Seachem Flourish comprehensive plant supplement 250ml

Byron 09-05-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh (Post 464267)

Yes, that's the stuff. This is all you need.

Welsh 09-11-2010 12:28 PM

Thankyou :-) I got it this week, hopefully things will start looking good soon :-) Is this safe to use with RCS, it says it has 000.1% copper which to me doesn't seem like a lot but I could be wrong lol

Byron 09-11-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh (Post 469034)
Thankyou :-) I got it this week, hopefully things will start looking good soon :-) Is this safe to use with RCS, it says it has 000.1% copper which to me doesn't seem like a lot but I could be wrong lol

No problem. The level of copper in Flourish is not sufficient to cause issues for any fish, invertebrates or plants provided you do not overdose--and even then, it would take a fair overdose I would expect. But once or twice a week, at the amount on the label, is fine.

Use it a day following a water change, as most conditioners detoxify heavy metals, and some of the micro-nutrients (copper, iron, manganese...) are "heavy metals." No point using Flourish only to have your water conditioner negate it. I use Flourish the morning after the water change, and then a second dose (which my plants need) 2-3 days after that.

Byron.

Welsh 09-11-2010 02:24 PM

Thanks for letting me know, I'v been dosing flourish the same time I do a water change and I have small tanks so Iv only been adding a tiny amount each time which has probably been totally removed by the water conditioner lol.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Byron 09-11-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh (Post 469118)
Thanks for letting me know, I'v been dosing flourish the same time I do a water change and I have small tanks so Iv only been adding a tiny amount each time which has probably been totally removed by the water conditioner lol.

Thanks again for your help :-)

I did the same for years. But I had reason to contact Seachem a while back and ask them about this, and they confirmed that Prime [and obviously similar conditioners that detoxify heavy metals] would in fact detoxify the iron, copper, etc. (heavy metals) in Flourish if used within 24 hours. I can't see the point of wasting either, so I now dose the Flourish the morning after my water changes.

Prime works on trace amounts, which is what you would normally have in tap water that has heavy metals, since water boards follow fairly strict regimes concerning heavy metals. But what is safe for humans is not safe for fish, hence we use a conditioner that will detoxify any heavy metals. Seachem explained that the amount of these minerals in Flourish does not exceed trace amounts, similar to the tap water idea, so there is no danger of poisoning the fish.

I actually hunted for a water conditioner that does not detoxify heavy metals; there are a couple, but not carried where I live. I have nothing of significance in my water (except chlorine) so one of these would probably benefit my plants and save on Flourish.:-)