Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   tank with new substrate! etc. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/tank-new-substrate-etc-50851/)

dorabaker 09-04-2010 01:40 AM

tank with new substrate! etc.

4 Attachment(s)
a few days ago i finally got gravel for my tank. it looks great but the tank is now a lot darker because light isn't being reflected off the bottom anymore. also, although the amount i got was enough to cover the bottom, it's only about an inch deep which probably isn't enough for the plants i wanted. i think i'm going to hold off on the lighting and cryptocorynes for a while, just have to wait until i can afford it, and decided what to do about lighting :)
and some random news - when i was dismantling the decor to put the gravel in, i noticed that the moss had started to cling to the wood. it was a real surprise because i'd had a piece of moss tied to a rock near the wood, and i thought it was still attached, but when i pulled out the wood the moss just came off the rock and was clinging to the wood. and here i was thinking it wasn't growing because there wasn't enough light! anyway, since i added the gravel i've noticed the moss has started to sort of dig itself into the gravel. it might be my imagination, but i reckon it happened overnight. so maybe it isn't dying after all..:-D
anyway here are some photos of the tank + my gourami... (the only way i could get her to pose for the camera was feeding her)
Attachment 16720

Attachment 16721

Attachment 16722

Attachment 16723

badxgillen 09-04-2010 02:18 AM

hki

givin time java moss will atach to anything that is porous...the tank looks good in my opinion....ADIOS..

dorabaker 09-04-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 463903)
givin time java moss will atach to anything that is porous...the tank looks good in my opinion....ADIOS..

thanks :) it's fontinalis moss actually, the lfs didnt have java. i was worried it was dying because there wasn't enough light (i dont have lighting over my tank, so the only light is ambient room light) and it was starting to turn brown.

kitten_penang 09-04-2010 08:14 AM

a desk lamp shining on it will help a little

dorabaker 09-04-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 463970)
a desk lamp shining on it will help a little

yup that's what i intend to get :) i just have to figure out where to put the light. i'm thinking of attaching a little shelf to the wall above the tank and putting the lamp on there. my local lighting shop has these little desk lamps that have clips so you can clip them onto things, which is handy. they also have the same sort with just a solid base.

kitten_penang 09-04-2010 09:11 AM

clip one are cute and handy ^.^

trukgirl 09-04-2010 10:34 AM

Your tank looks great!! :-)
I have a clip-on light over my sump, they're great. For max plant growth I would get a CFL bulb thats the "daylight" kind.... 6500k .... they have more of a blue tint when they are on than the "soft white"

dorabaker 09-04-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trukgirl (Post 464026)
Your tank looks great!! :-)
I have a clip-on light over my sump, they're great. For max plant growth I would get a CFL bulb thats the "daylight" kind.... 6500k .... they have more of a blue tint when they are on than the "soft white"

kitten_penang 09-04-2010 11:07 AM

i googled CFL came out canadian football league lol

dorabaker 09-04-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 464045)
i googled CFL came out canadian football league lol

rofl!