Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Black Knife Fish found dead for no apparent reason, help figuring out why (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/black-knife-fish-found-dead-no-50839/)

mcb5522 09-03-2010 08:47 PM

Black Knife Fish found dead for no apparent reason, help figuring out why

My black knfe was found wedged in between his home rock with a large white bubble under his mouth and down a few millimeters and it protruded out like a bubble. My tank is in day 6 of getting over an ich problem and he is one of the fish who had actually hadnt displayed any ich at all. my tank is pretty warm at the moment but only to combat the ich and i dont use chemicals. ive only used aquarium salt to also help with the ich problem. i do regular water changes and i checked the parameters and everything is fine. any help to determine why he died. my ssiter was looking at him no more than five minutes before i found him laying there.

aunt kymmie 09-03-2010 10:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken BGKs are a "scaleless" fish so they would be highly irritated by a salt/heat treatment. Someone else will have to confirm.
Sorry about the loss of your fish. Always such a bummer to lose one...

kitten_penang 09-04-2010 07:17 AM

yup maybe that treatment caused it too much stress so it ... you know.so sorry bout your loss

mcb5522 09-04-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 463801)
If I'm not mistaken BGKs are a "scaleless" fish so they would be highly irritated by a salt/heat treatment. Someone else will have to confirm.
Sorry about the loss of your fish. Always such a bummer to lose one...

yea i completely forgot that they are scaleless, if i would have known i never would have done the treatment and rather would have kept looking up treatmeants, i've been doing it for a week and he never showed any weird signs. this one was tough since i had him for a very long time and that i maybe could have prevented it if it was the treatment and i went tracking him down at petsmart for so long, he definatly was my favorite -_____-

aunt kymmie 09-04-2010 02:46 PM

I'm sorry, I'd HATE to lose my favorite fish. :-(
In the future, if you have to treat for ich, you're better off going with meds, when you have scaleless fish in the tank. I keep loaches and otos (in addition to many others) and when I've had to treat for ich (twice, so far) I've used Kordon's Rid-Ich+, at just 1/2 strength. 1/2 strength is what's recommended for scaleless and sensitive fish and it has never failed to rid the tank of ich. I do not use salt, nor do I mess with the temp.
Even if I didn't have scaleless fish this is how I'd treat the tank since it has worked both times for me without any fish casualties. Sorry you lost your BGK.