Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-5081/)

woodenchef 04-17-2007 08:41 AM

Help

I am just starting and two platies ended up getting stuck behind my background and glass. They are dead and I cannot get them out. I have since blocked where they got behind there.

The background is a 3D cork type siliconed inside the aqarium to the glass. What should I do? Will they just dicompose, it is a corner 100 gallon aquarium full of water so i can no longer move or get behind to try and retrieve. And i do not want to rip out the cork alrady siliconed to glass.

Anyone have any ideas

Holly 04-17-2007 01:23 PM

They'll eventually decompose but that's going to wreak havic on your water parameters and send your nitrites and ammonia through the room possible killing other fish. Shrimmp will feed on the bodies to speed the process but still I think it would take long enough to spike your nitrites. Unfortunatly, I'd pull the cork off and get them out. I had a rainbow shark die and I never found him but my water went crazy and I lost all the other fish also. It took me a very long time and many water changes to get the tank ready for new fish.

Oh, how about using a turkey baster and pulling them out? That would be messy but it would be better than leaving them in there.

jones57742 04-17-2007 01:33 PM

Yes they will just decompose.

If it was my problem IMHO I would do what you are doing (ie. not "ripping and tearing").

If odor becomes a problem then "ripping tearing" can be done (I cannot tell from your post if water is trapped behind the cork).

Their decay may create a significant bioload if the block is not water tight.

When you post your water parameters tomorrow also please post your stocking if it is significantly different from that set forth in you previous thread (and as recommended to be modified by Blue).

The one "big thing" which you have "going for you" (as I do also) is the capacity of your tank.
Occurrences such as this are not necessarily propagated in "real" problems.

TR

woodenchef 04-17-2007 02:42 PM

Thanks, they were stuck behind there since last night. Here is what I currently have in the new tank since Sunday minus 2 platies:

now 7 - platies 1"
2 - honey gouramis 2"

The backing is not water tight so the dead fish are submerged in water but circulation would be pretty bad behind there. There are grooves to allow tubing and such to be run behind backing so its out of sight. I have since blocked this off, the platies seem to be very curious fish.

Ammonia and nitrites are still at 0 as of last night I am sure this will change tonight, will check water when i get home. I will do a 30% water change as soon as it starts to spike. I will take your suggestions and hope for the best, I do not want to rip background out and have to start all over, but "live and learn" and I'm learning.

A turkey baster is to big to get behind there but i was thinking of a coat hanger made into a hook and trying this option. Problem is i would be doing this blindly because it's up against the wall and I cannot see back there very well.

jones57742 04-17-2007 04:11 PM

You are definitely "on the right track here"!

The poor circulation may cause the odor which I referenced in my 1st post.

If you are not overfeeding then with your stocking level you may never observe ammonia or nitrite concentrations (they will exist but not at levels commonly detectable by fish keepers).
I am saying this because if you do not observe ammonia or nitrite concentrations then IMHO I would not do a water change as these very small concentrations are providing nutrients for the growth of the ammonia and nitrite digestion bacteria in you biological filtration media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodenchef
A turkey baster is to big to get behind there but i was thinking of a coat hanger made into a hook and trying this option. Problem is i would be doing this blindly because it's up against the wall and I cannot see back there very well.

Short funny here.
When I purchased my aquarium I spent the extra $'s for a 30" deep aquarium in order to grow angels to full size adults.
My aquarium is acrylic with access hatches in the top.
I never thought ahead that my fully extended arm with a shoulder as far in the access hatch as it would go would allow my hand to be of use on approximately 26" deep in the tank.

I now have several utensils which assist me but working on the bottom is still at best an ordeal (this situation is exacerbated by the lack of bottom visibility due the rocks, wood and plants).
BUT
I have also tried some "Southern Engineered" approaches such as your coat hanger and I do not remember one which did not cause more grief in addition to not fixing the problem they were intended to sove.

TR

Trishfish 04-17-2007 04:52 PM

Sorry about your fish. You may want to reconsider that background. Platies will have lots of tiny fry and you might have an ongoing problem with some getting behind there.

woodenchef 04-17-2007 05:23 PM

I agree Trish the little the fry will definately pose a problem, I just hate throwing this money away these things were $14 a piece X5. But in the end I may have too and also have to scrape off all the old silcone from the inside glass. I am liking this new hobby already

:shock:

TR would the decomposing fish x2 not cause a spike in ammonia? If so and I am able to keep it within reason (water changes) while cycle is going on I should be able to ride this out (hoping). Any idea how long for a couple 1" fish to fully break down?

Trishfish 04-17-2007 05:39 PM

With a tank that large you may not get much of a spike at all. I'm thinking the warmer the water is the faster they'll decompose. Probably best to get them out of there if you can though. The platies are very hardy and would probably be fine but I'm not so sure about your gouramis. How about trying bbq tongs or a long handled sauce brush? Or sturdy cardboard if you think you're quick enough. A yardstick maybe. Tin foil molded into the shape you need. Just tossing some ideas out there. Good luck.

jones57742 04-17-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

TR would the decomposing fish x2 not cause a spike in ammonia? If so and I am able to keep it within reason (water changes) while cycle is going on I should be able to ride this out (hoping).

Not necessarily and with the capacity of your tank and your stocking level you should be able to and you may not even need (or want to do) any water changes.

Quote:

Any idea how long for a couple 1" fish to fully break down?

This is really a guess based on one experience which I have had but if they are full grown platies and have reasonable circulation around the bodies then a week until they become inert.

TR (Thanks: Ron Jones)