Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   bacteria? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/bacteria-50808/)

fish1983 09-03-2010 01:09 PM

bacteria?

so ive been noticing my angel fish has not been eating well for the last couple days and his poo is long, stringy and clear... sooo this means he has an internal bacteria infection correct? if so do i just use a medicated food? :-( :dunno:

bettababy 09-03-2010 05:20 PM

That is not correct, the symptoms you describe, by themselves, do not indicate a bacterial infection. The change in poo texture, color, etc. can be associated to the change in eating habits, so the question that needs to be answered is why this fish has had such a drastic change in eating habits. Besides possible illness, water conditions/fluctuations, stress, and many other things can contribute to change of eating habits.

Can you please provide information about your tank? How long has it been set up? What size tank, how many fish, what species of fish (how many of each species) and sizes of fish? What type of filtration? How often are you performing water changes? How much water each time? How often do you gravel vac? Can you please post test results (using a liquid test kit) for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH? What type of decor is in the tank? How much decor? Live plants? Feeding schedule? Foods offered? After you feed, how long until ALL food is consumed by the fish? Is food reaching the bottom/substrate when you feed? Water temp?

These questions will get us started, but anything else you can offer for information about this tank and the fish inside of it will only help lead to a proper diagnosis of the problem and a safe, healthy solution.

fish1983 09-03-2010 06:34 PM

Ok I will do all of my water testing tonight when I get off work. I do at least a 20% wc once a week. Currently I have one angelfish about a year old I have 3 emerald catfish all about 2 years old. The tank has been stable for a year. I have river rock mixed with plant substrate of a sand like consistency. I have driftwood and some hiding pots for the cories and some aquarium grass... Can't remember what its called off the top of my head starts with an "M"... Ill look it up. I have 5 of those plants and just one large piece of driftwood. Temp is usually a steady 78 degrees. I feed the angelfish tropical flakes with freeze dried hakiri bloodworms and I use bottom feeder tablets for the cories. Yes some of the flakes reach the substrate and the cories eat that up as well pretty quick. I clean the substrate every other water change. I use a marineland hob canister filter as well as a marineland hob biowheel filter. Its a 55 gallon tank. I will also post water parameters later tonight. Thank you for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

bettababy 09-03-2010 07:23 PM

Based on the info you posted so far, I can already suggest backing off of the blood worms for food. Blood worms is not only a very messy food (which will quickly pollute the water) but it is more of a "candy" type of food for most fish. What brand of tropical flake food are you using?

Has the angelfish changed in coloration during this time? Change in behavior other than not eating?

I'm not sure I understand about the HOB canister filter? HOB (hang on back) is different than canister... it helps to know the make/model of the filter and what media is in each filter?

fish1983 09-03-2010 08:07 PM

Well the blood worms are used for just a treat not a daily feeder ill post the make and model of filter when I post the water parameters. Its a canister filter that hangs on the aquarium by marineland. I use carbon and a nitrate/ammonia reducing media in the other one its got two biowheels. And other than the before mentioned no change in color or behavior in the fish
Posted via Mobile Device

fish1983 09-03-2010 08:14 PM

Marineland Aquarium Products, Supplies | Online Store | Discount Filter Systems, Lighting, Parts, Heaters, Pumps

Marineland

Bio Wheel Canister Filter HOT Magnum Pro 250

this is what i use minus the biowheel i already have an established biowheel. the biowheel i use is a marineland 350 model i believe

bettababy 09-03-2010 08:16 PM

Can you include a photo of the tank and another of the angelfish please?

So far it sounds more like possible stress. I see no indication of actual illness at this point.

fish1983 09-03-2010 08:22 PM

in my aquariums there is a pic of the angelfish... only one i could get at the time. ill see if i can get a better one and get one of the tank as well

bettababy 09-03-2010 09:18 PM

I am looking for a new pic of the fish so I can look for any signs of illness, disease, parasite, etc. that may be causing the problem. I am also looking for the current overall condition of the fish since this problem began... the old pic will be good for comparing to see if there are any noticeable changes. There are things that an experienced/trained eye can often see that the average hobbyist doesn't recognize.

fish1983 09-03-2010 09:33 PM

Ok so ammonia is at .25 so that's a little high nitrate is 5 that's a little high and nitrite is 0. That pic was taken a few days ago but I will post a new one
Posted via Mobile Device