Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with Plant ID (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-plant-id-50806/)

Sir Chauncy 09-03-2010 12:44 PM

Help with Plant ID

5 Attachment(s)
Hey chaps and chapettes,

I posted this in the tropical fish section but got no responses. I think it's possibly because it was in the wrong place >.<

Could anyone help ID these plants for me? I'd like some ideas on their care and to know if I have them in the right places.

Any help would be appreciated, especially names so I can write them down for later :)

Cheers

Chauncy.

redchigh 09-03-2010 03:53 PM

Ouch... I hate to tell you but some (possibly most) of those aren't true aquatics... They may do well in your aquarium for a week or two, maybe a month or two, but they will eventually die. They're great for terrariums though.

The first one... I have no idea. It looks terrestrial to me though, and I think you have it buried a bit deep....
Nice cabomba and pennywort behind it though. :)

The second one looks like some sort of terrestrial fern...

The third one could be a java fern which is aquatic, but the picture is too dark to identify it..

The fourth one looks like creeping jenny, AKA Lysimachia Nummularia... It's a terrestrial groundcover, I've been looking for some for my front yard... Fortunately, it seems to do relatively well submerged in aquariums. Keep an eye on it like the rest, but it will outlast the others and may be a good fit. It's just like any other stem plant.

The fifth is (I think) Bolbitis heudelotti... It does well with water movement, so put it close to the filter. It likes to be tied to objects rather than rooted in the substrate. If you do keep it in the substrate, make sure not to plant it too deep... I would reccomend just placing a small rock over it to hold it on the substrtate until it roots itself.

aunt kymmie 09-03-2010 04:48 PM

The fourth pic looks like a species of Bacopa to me. Perhaps B. caroliniana or monnieri?

Sir Chauncy 09-04-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys :) It's a bit of a bugger that the LPS sells stuff that shouldn't really be in an aquarium. :(

Stupid reality, just when I thought I had it licked too.

Sorry about the picture quality as well, taken on a camera phone without a flash. It's astonishing how bad these picture look when they aren't on a 2" screen. That green ferny one is a total swine to look at or take pictures of btw, it's so dark that the camera refuses to even acknowledge it's there.

Byron 09-04-2010 03:58 PM

I basically agree with redchigh and kymmie. #1 is most likely a Dracaena species (like the houseplant) so may last submerged for a time; keep close watch, if it starts to rot remove it completely. #2 and #3 prob terrestrial ferns; same advice as previous. #4 as kymmie said I think is a Bacopa. #5 could be Bolbitis or another terrestiral fern. #2 and #3 also have something of a Bolbitis look, possibly B. heteroclita, but not sure. Clearer photos might help us.

Byron.

kitten_penang 09-04-2010 05:13 PM

the fern lives by the water edge. beside ponds mostly where the substrate is moist.