Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ohh crap... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ohh-crap-50775/)

David007c 09-02-2010 10:04 PM

ohh crap...
 
I thought that bottom of my tank was full of wastes so i water changed. However, while i was cleaning the wastes too much i kinda over did it. It went kinda over 40% but,i couldn' stop it. Then, half hour later, i saw one of my otos fainting and and shaking his body to survive(i felt bad for him:cry:) so i tested the tank with 6 tests in one strip Quick Dip then i got:
Nitrate 20 Nitrite 0 Total Hardness 150 Total Chlorine 0 Total Alkalinity: 40(maybe lower) ph 6.8
sorry i am actually beginner so i don't know much about this... can't anyone explain what's going on with my tank and fish???

kitten_penang 09-02-2010 10:30 PM

did you add prime or anti chlorine when you added the new water?? your fish is suffocating and is going into shock.you see it in humans too.

aunt kymmie 09-02-2010 10:40 PM

Doing a 40% partial water change on an established tank shouldn't be a problem. I regularly do 50% pwcs every week on all my tanks. How long has your tank been set up? You're using a dip stick test kit, which are woefully inaccurate as compared to a liquid test kit, unfortunately. Does your test kit test for ammonia? What type of water conditioner are you using?

David007c 09-02-2010 10:58 PM

I used Prime during water change and my tank has been set up for about 4 or 5 months(moved from 20G)

David007c 09-02-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 463098)
Doing a 40% partial water change on an established tank shouldn't be a problem. I regularly do 50% pwcs every week on all my tanks. How long has your tank been set up? You're using a dip stick test kit, which are woefully inaccurate as compared to a liquid test kit, unfortunately. Does your test kit test for ammonia? What type of water conditioner are you using?

I know but at that time and right now... everything is about money money money.

aunt kymmie 09-02-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David007c (Post 463125)
I know but at that time and right now... everything is about money money money.

I understand completely. Anyway to test for ammonia? Since you show nitrates, and no nitrite, and used Prime the only two things I can think of would be either elevated ammonia for some reason or perhaps your oto simply wasn't in good health to begin with. They can be delicate creatures, not very hardy and sometimes the slightest water imperfections can impact them negatively. The rest of your fish are ok??

David007c 09-02-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 463132)
I understand completely. Anyway to test for ammonia? Since you show nitrates, and no nitrite, and used Prime the only two things I can think of would be either elevated ammonia for some reason or perhaps your oto simply wasn't in good health to begin with. They can be delicate creatures, not very hardy and sometimes the slightest water imperfections can impact them negatively. The rest of your fish are ok??

i don't know but maybe second one's close it... typical oto shock... maybe that's it...
About Nitrite... is 0 meaning incorrect for that category??? i have no idea how to test ammonia other than this Quick Dip. I guess i will have to be patient until something happens again... thank you guys for helping me out. G2G to bed see y'll tomorrow bye~


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2