Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Detrius Eaters? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/detrius-eaters-50737/)

TMF89 09-02-2010 03:01 PM

Detrius Eaters?

I have a 29 gallon with a very fine light sand bottom, and the zebra danios I have cycling the tank are starting to show their presence with their waste on the bottom, and it's becoming unsightly. Now obviously I'll clean and perform maitainence on the tank, but it seems to appear to quickly be taken care of with that. Are there any shrimp or snails (or fish) out there that would work for cleaning this? Thanks guys.

kitten_penang 09-02-2010 10:36 PM

ghost shrimps, cory's ,rcs

1077 09-02-2010 11:35 PM

Trumpet snails are very good at sifting through the sand in search of food and they also prevent stagnant areas from forming beneath the sand.
They will not eliminate the need for vaccuming as you have noted ,but if fishes are not overfed,,, then they can do a fair to good job on detritus.

dfbiggs 09-03-2010 12:00 AM

I understand MTS & Pond snails will eat dead plant matter...but in my keeping of shrimp and snails I have never seen them eat fecal material.( I guess that doesn't mean they don't but I do stare at my tanks way too long and would have probably noticed by now..:)

Also, some snails will produce more of that unsightly waste if you aren't careful with your feedings (Pond snails) My MTS don't seem to produce as much waste compared to all my other snails ( I have pond snails, nerites, golden apples) And if shrimp will actually eat that poo they would be the best as far as the lowest waste producers.

That is a downfall of having light and fine substrate. Most likely you are going to have to spot clean...I know we all want a magical poo eraser;-)

kitten_penang 09-03-2010 01:43 AM

i wished dung beetles were aquatic :lol:

dfbiggs 09-03-2010 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 463201)
i wished dung beetles were aquatic :lol:

eep.:sick:...I am so grossed out by beetles..kinda like Inga and snails

kitten_penang 09-03-2010 03:35 AM

hahaha at least they get rid of the poop problem lol

aunt kymmie 09-03-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 463228)
eep.:sick:...I am so grossed out by beetles..kinda like Inga and snails

You too? Beetles have pinchers, at least snails do not!

KERR 09-03-2010 12:03 PM

CRABS! there very cheap and will clean up nicely, i have about 5 in the bottom of mine.. just make sure you have an air pump with a small bubble bar or air stone other wise you have to take them out every 3ish days

aunt kymmie 09-03-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KERR (Post 463397)
CRABS! there very cheap and will clean up nicely, i have about 5 in the bottom of mine.. just make sure you have an air pump with a small bubble bar or air stone other wise you have to take them out every 3ish days

Depending on which fish you are keeping crabs may or may not be a good idea. During the night when fish are sleeping and unaware the crabs (and freshwater lobsters) can catch and kill fish with those nice little claws they have.