Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   love_my_fish says Hi! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/love_my_fish-says-hi-507/)

love_my_fish 09-17-2006 12:29 PM

love_my_fish says Hi!

Hello, I've been keeping tropical fish more successfully over the last 5 years. Had to first get rid of the bull sharks sold to me as 'catfish' in place of cory cats that did not do well at all. The sound of the sharks taking my self raised platys in the night was too much to bear.

That was long ago. Though I have had other traumatic fish deaths over the years -- head and tail light tetra jump under the filter cover into the filter area, spinning the poor thing around (whisper power filter). Had a dojo loach that I loved, but he jumped out of the tank when I forgot to put my books back on (thats why glass cover is better than plastic hoods?). Also, had a red-tail shark that was very aggressive to my other fish. So I set up a 30 gallon just for him -- didn't complete the fitting on the back of hood -- the guy jumped out while I was at work! Darn my laziness!

And I never found my congo tetra that went missing while on vacation...

I have successfully maintained a 46-gal bow front tank for about 3 years and have a 5.5 gal tank of baby platies with short val type grass. I also managed to "save" 3 baby bristlenose plecos from their parents/tank mates and raise them. Can't say the same for the angels. Hope to get some decent pics to post soon.

Anyway, nice to have a place to talk to others about fishkeeping!

willow 09-18-2006 04:05 PM

hi
welcome aboard,nice people here.
enjoy your stay.

Lauri 09-18-2006 04:08 PM

Welcome..... :D

SimplySplendid 09-18-2006 04:27 PM

Sorry to hear about all your tragic deaths. Hope things get better :P :mrgreen:

Brie

Lupin 09-18-2006 06:00 PM

Hi love_my_fish,

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy here.:thumbsup:

Tracy 09-19-2006 01:31 AM

I have a 46 gallon bow front, also :) Although nothing has jumped out. My worst experience was when I was cleaning a tank years and years ago, an albino cory cat I had accidentally got stuck in the syphon hose :cry: I didn't notice until the next day when I did my 'head count'. I still have nightmares about it :( that being said, welcome aboard :D I know we all learn from our mistakes.

love_my_fish 10-05-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_gourami45
I have a 46 gallon bow front, also :) Although nothing has jumped out. My worst experience was when I was cleaning a tank years and years ago, an albino cory cat I had accidentally got stuck in the syphon hose :cry: I didn't notice until the next day when I did my 'head count'. I still have nightmares about it :( that being said, welcome aboard :D I know we all learn from our mistakes.

Stuck in the siphon!! :( how awful! I often fear sucking up one of the smaller fish , and I have rescued some ghost shrimp from going down the drain. Don't keep em anymore fro that reason.

Oceane 10-06-2006 09:26 AM

:lol: Hi there sounds like you've really experienced the worst...anyhow welcome.

Amphitrite 10-06-2006 06:01 PM

Hiya love_my_fish, and welcome to FishForum.com :wave: