Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   LATEST stocking ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/latest-stocking-ideas-5063/)

Falina 04-16-2007 07:17 PM

LATEST stocking ideas

i picked up a 30g tank last night and so far have had a million ideas about what to do with it and my tanks that i have just now. i currently have a 35g and a 10g running however am getting rid of the 10g as its plastic and starting to look really scratched and bad so im getting rid of it. i am replacing it with a 7g so after setting up and cycling has finished what i will have is 35g, 30g and 7g. my LATEST idea for stocking is as follows (with the fish i currently own in bold so you know what fish i cant eliminate from the plans:

35g: 2 synodontis
1 plec
1 raphael catfish
6 cories
1 betta

- this would be my catfish tank with the exception of the betta obviously but i thoguht hed be fine in there as the rest are mianly bottom dwellers so shouldnt bother him, and he is currently kept with cories and def doesnt bother with them

30g: 2 blind cave tetras
3 mollies
1 swordtail
2 cories + another 2 cories
1 raphael catfish

- this would be my community tank

7g: 2 dwarf puffers

any opinions appreciated. like i said the bold ones are already with me so arent an option not to have kind of thing. i really love the raphael catfish which is why he appears in both tanks at the moment

is there any reason why these fish wouldnt go together? or of i should swap some round? i really like the idea of having a catfish tank, and since none of them will grow too big it seems to me like it would work but im open to suggestions. all tanks are/will be planted and have hiding places.

in time i might put a pair of apistogramma cichlids in the 30g, but only after the mollies and swordtail are moved or pas away as im not going to just get rid of them so this should be (beared?) in mind with the cories and raphael

thanks

Age of Aquariums 04-16-2007 11:12 PM

Nice ideas but I'm more of a SW person..... but I like the fish you picked but because I'm a saltwater person, I don't know if they get along.

Falina 04-17-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Age of Aquariums
Nice ideas but I'm more of a SW person..... but I like the fish you picked but because I'm a saltwater person, I don't know if they get along.

thanks age of aquariums :)

as far as i can find out they will get along. the trickiest one will be the catfish tank because althoguh theyre all small just now, they will all grow to between 4" and 6" (except obviously the cories) by which time they will all want their own seperate hiding places. i plan to covercome this by adding lots of bogwood to make caves, plants, and the drainpipe copvered in gravel idea that has been posted about here so everyone will have their own places

anyone else any opinions?

Lupin 04-17-2007 03:45 AM

Move all cories in the 30 gallons tank. I prefer not to recommend placing both synos and cories together. Synos can be intimidating and they just don't fit naturally with the cories.:)

Falina 04-17-2007 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
Move all cories in the 30 gallons tank. I prefer not to recommend placing both synos and cories together. Synos can be intimidating and they just don't fit naturally with the cories.:)

done!

other than that, it seems alright? since there are no cories in the 35g, would a wee pitbull or clown plec do well in there along with the rest?

thanks blue