Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   i nearly died of shock last nite (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/i-nearly-died-shock-last-nite-50627/)

kitten_penang 08-31-2010 11:47 PM

i nearly died of shock last nite
 
before my hubby went to sleep last nite.he went to look at our favorite fish the arowana on the balcony.he yelled for me saying the fish is dead.i though it was another of his dumb joke as he knows i love this bugger to bits. feeling something was really wrong as he kept calling me i rushed to the tank and to my horror 2 tinfoil barbs and 15 feeder koi were dead in the tank. :shock: only my arowana, pleco and a single ghost shrimp was alive.the water was reaking with dead fish smell.wish he hadn't closed the curtains yesterday :-( got a huge extra quality garbage bag meant for the arowana in case of an emergency and re homed him in another 90 gallon that was left running with a single climbing perch and a handful of ghost shrimp in it. scooped out all the dead fish and did a 100% water change which included the filter. didn't use water from that tank but the spare one. all the dead feeders had a black spot covering the whole of their chest cavity. even the tin foil had blood streaks in the same area and some of the feeders were on the glass and floor in the same area. don't know what went wrong in there but i was definitely not water issues. ammonia and nitrite was high but thats because the tank had dead decomposing fish in there so the water readings aren't dependable. i'm thinking electric shock but the aro and the plec are alive :-? only 100% of the smaller fishes are dead..what could have caused this?

thefishboy 09-01-2010 03:08 AM

Sorry to here about that:cry:

Marginatus 09-01-2010 06:22 AM

I think you could discount electric shock straight away but check the fuses and breakers, if none of them have tripped and you didn't get a shock when you were sorting it out then it's not that. Concentrate on the black spot and blood streaks.

Were the feeders added recently?

Did you raise the feeders yourself or buy them in?

kitten_penang 09-01-2010 06:38 AM

Yes about a day before this happened.it was bought from the store.i had him choose healthy larger feeders.the mystery is that all the feeders had the same condition.black or dark abdomen cavity. They jumped out of the tank and all this happened in 5 hours tops.i came home at 7 pm looked at him for a while as if to tell him i'm home and he and the rest were like normal.no signs nothing. Then a 11 pm when my hubby was going to bed he went to say good nite and thats when we found out the tank had dead fishes in it.

kitten_penang 09-01-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 461470)
sorry to here about that:cry:

yup felt pity for the rest of the fish but i'm truly happy my big boy survived it. :-?

Marginatus 09-01-2010 09:54 AM

I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a disease/parasite that could cause such a sudden and catastrophic cause of death but I can't off the top of my head.

Disease or parasites would be my suspicion especially as they were added recently and all died. That's the problem with feeders but I understand why people use them, can you not quarantine them anywhere before feeding?

Romad 09-01-2010 10:03 AM

that's horrible. i hope you figure it out so you can avoid it next time.

good luck.

kitten_penang 09-01-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marginatus (Post 461654)
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a disease/parasite that could cause such a sudden and catastrophic cause of death but I can't off the top of my head.

Disease or parasites would be my suspicion especially as they were added recently and all died. That's the problem with feeders but I understand why people use them, can you not quarantine them anywhere before feeding?


don't think it's parasite as the tin foil that died had been there way longer then the feeders.they were bought not long after i got the aro.and the aro is more then a foot long now. impossible for a parasite to take out all the feeders and 2 adult tin foil at one go like that

kitten_penang 09-01-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 461659)
that's horrible. i hope you figure it out so you can avoid it next time.

good luck.


thanks still have no idea what happened but i changed virtually everything and i took off the lighting as well.just in case.

andrewsz123 09-01-2010 11:03 AM

Thats insane sounds horrible. I am sorry for your loss!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2