Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need Fish Advice!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-fish-advice-50613/)

The Wind 08-31-2010 07:40 PM

Need Fish Advice!!!

Hey everyone, I've been having some trouble lately with my aquarium, I keep getting different information thrown at me, so I figured I'd ask here as well.

I have a 45 gallon freshwater tank. As of a couple days ago the fish in my tank were

3 guppies
4 mollies
2 yo yo loaches
2 clown loaches
3 serpae tetras
3 platys
1 knight goby
1 pictus catfish
1 red tailed shark

So someone told us at the store that the red tailed shark wouldnt attack our other fish. But apparently something attacked them. We asked someone else, and they said that the red tailed shark WOULD attack them.. We took it out yesterday, but a few of our fish died anyway.(They were all torn up! :(.. We lost 2 mollies, a yo yo loach, and a tetra) So I want to know, would any of these other fish attack each other?

And what else can I put in this tank that won't kill my fish???? Thanks!!!!!

*edit* Also, I always asked BEFORE i bought, to see if the fish would be okay, in singles/groups and if they would go with my fish or not. Apparently I've just been getting bad info.

jeaninel 08-31-2010 08:41 PM

Hmmm....how big is the Pictus?

Byron 08-31-2010 08:46 PM

Hello, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Thanks for the PM bringing this issue to my attention.

While I can't say for certain that it was this or that fish in your list causing the trouble, I can certainly say there are a few that could and undoubtedly will sooner or later if steps are not taken to removing them.

First, the Red Tailed Shark as you singled this out. This fish should only be kept in a 4-foot tank and on its own, by which I mean only one of the species. Other bottom fish are also risky, as is explained in the profile, please have a read.

Serpae Tetra are notorious fin nippers and can be very aggressive. Sometimes this aggression is brought on my environmental conditions--too few fish in the group (should be at least 8 or more of these), too small a tank (in a minimum 55g if other fish species are included). In a 45g tank a group of 8 serpae with some other active fish (note, active) including bottom fish would work.

The Pictus Catfish should be in a group of 5 or more and in a 4-foot tank. They will eat anything small, and as they grow to 5 inches this includes quite a number of other fish like tetras, rasbora, etc.

Clown loach can attain 12+ inches, and need to be in a group (they have a social structure) of at least 5 or 6 but in a 6 foot tank. They grow quickly and need the space to develop properly. Again, note the profile info.

Yoyo loach also needs a group, 5-6, but given its smaller size it can do in a 4-foot tank. Again, profile info.

The knight goby attains 3 inches and will eat smaller fish, though it is generally shy. It will probably help control your livebearer fry, one good point.

If fish are dying from being "torn up" as you put it, I would suspect the Serpae first, then the Shark. Unless the dead fish were very small, the goby was probably not the culprit.

I hope this helps a bit. A last comment on the information in our profiles. I agree, searching the internet or asking staff in fish stores and even other hobbyists can frequently result in conflicting information. Sometimes there are differing opinions, but sometimes the information is just plain wrong. I have written many of the profiles, certainly those referenced in this post; I research thoroughly, I use several sites and sources including highly respected ichthyologists and hobbyists. If you read it in our profiles you can be assured that there is agreement among the majority of those who know. Where knowledgeable people may differ, I mention that. Sometimes fish will behave one way in my tank and completely different in your tank; this has to be taken into account. But each fish species has some inherent traits that are there and this or that may trigger them one day.

Byron.

kitten_penang 08-31-2010 10:38 PM

=S who gave you such advise??? the fish might fit your tank now but it wont in the long run like bryon said. i keep arowanas and yet i've had second thought of thr RTC as they get huge too huge for a normal home aquaria.

The Wind 09-01-2010 09:24 PM

Thank you all for your help and information. Thankfully, I learned about the serpaes quickly. I took them out as well, and everyone seems to be playing nice. I'm going to get some more yo yo loaches, as they stay small, and are happier in groups. Not sure what I'll do about the catfish and the clowns. Bring them back i guess. Sigh.

Now, I ask, what can i put in my tank that goes well with livebearers? (Mollies, guppies, platys, swordtails) Are there any other fish that would do alright in there? Like the knight goby? We aren't worried about them eating the babies, as we aren't really trying to breed. But we don't want to put anything really aggressive in there..

Thanks again

kitten_penang 09-01-2010 10:23 PM

Territorial by nature, the aquarium should have plenty of places to to hide such as caves, driftwood and plants. They will defend their space and if you are keeping more than one extra care will have to be given as the are aggressive toward their on species. The aquarium itself does not have to be extra large a twenty gallon long would be great, aside from the above the substrate should be a sand material rather than gravel. Being sensitive to poor water quality you must have good filtration and a strong maintenance schedule.. Lighting is best subdued as they are timid in bright situations. Considered a brackish fish according to fishbase they actually prefer freshwater, be sure to ask your supplier the conditions they have been kept in
I have never kept this species but one reader has had the following experiences. They are awesome fish I've had 6 for about 2 years. They like any kind of worms black,blood,tubiflex .And about the brackish water you should check with the shop you got him from and see if he was bread in brackish or fresh but a little salt wont hurt any way. They also like a high Ph about 7.2 to 7.8 any ways they are awesome little fish but if they are not fed lots they may go after the other tankmates fins.