Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   to many snails... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/many-snails-50570/)

fish1983 08-31-2010 12:02 PM

to many snails...

I have a 30 gallon planted blackwater aquarium and I ended up with some snails, most likely from the live plants. At first it was nice I do enjoy the snails. Now there are just to many. I don't want to get rid of all of them and I don't want to kill any... How can I humanely reduce the number of snails in my tank???
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 08-31-2010 02:18 PM

From what I have read, cutting down the food will cut back the numbers of snails. At least it will stop the reproduction of them. What kind of fish do you have? Some will eat snails. I kind of doubt the live fish store would take pond snails but maybe they would to use as food for other fish? Just a thought if you want to go that route.

fish1983 08-31-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 460900)
From what I have read, cutting down the food will cut back the numbers of snails. At least it will stop the reproduction of them. What kind of fish do you have? Some will eat snails. I kind of doubt the live fish store would take pond snails but maybe they would to use as food for other fish? Just a thought if you want to go that route.

In that tank I have 4 black neon tetras and 2 gourami. I could check with my LFS and see if that's an option... Thanks for the input
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 08-31-2010 03:51 PM

My understanding is that Gourami will eat the small pond snails. Maybe your Gourami are not hungry enough yet or old enough?

fish1983 08-31-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 460989)
My understanding is that Gourami will eat the small pond snails. Maybe your Gourami are not hungry enough yet or old enough?

I would guess not hungry enough cause they are at least 5 years old
Posted via Mobile Device

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 08-31-2010 08:27 PM

Assassin Snails will eat the snails but will not reproduce like crazy either

fish1983 08-31-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 461260)
Assassin Snails will eat the snails but will not reproduce like crazy either

thats human right... are they easily accessible at a lfs?

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 08-31-2010 09:57 PM

yeah, most likely. My lfs usually has them in-stock.

This is where I got mine.
Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics

dfbiggs 09-03-2010 04:03 PM

Assassin snails are a good idea but if you'd rather not get more snails...you can control their feeding (which has always been a problem for me) and make sure you are on the look out for the clear jelly egg sacks and remove them before they hatch..look in corners of your tanks and on plants. Those are the 2 most common places I find them.

redchigh 09-03-2010 04:35 PM

Humane way of controlling snails?

I would say assassin snails aren't particularly humane... They impale their victim and suck out their guts while they are alive... If their victim is too large, multiple snails will gang up on it.

Whats more humane, that or crushing?

Just cut down the food and they can slowly starve. problem solved. :)

See the paradox?