Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Asking for a friend (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/asking-friend-50450/)

Brandmaner 08-29-2010 09:53 PM

Asking for a friend

Hello again. My friend doesn't have interent so I am posting this on his behalf. He just bought a 55G tank and want to keep this stock... is it possible.

4 Angel Fish
3 Neon Tetras
5 Seprae Tetras
5 Tiger Barbs
2 Blue Groumais (Sorry if I misspelled that.)

I belive that is all for fish wise, I think he said he wanted a few snails and shrimp also though. Get back to me soon so I can let him know if it's a good or bad idea. Thanks!

kitten_penang 08-30-2010 01:34 AM

if he want angels he can't keep the tiger barbs.they nip. he needs at least 6 neons and 6 seprea.if it's planted and has lots of hiding place the shrimp will be ok.but keep in mind the angel can and will eat fish smaller then it's mouth and it's diet does contain shrimp

Brandmaner 08-30-2010 06:39 AM

Thats going to make him sad, he was set on both angels and tiger barbs. Oh well... And as for the angels eating fish I've never had mine eat anything.. he's almost 6 inches from top fin to bottom and at least 4-5 Inches from nose to back fin. And he enjoy the company of my 1 1/2 inch Sepraes :P

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-30-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 459596)
Thats going to make him sad, he was set on both angels and tiger barbs. Oh well... And as for the angels eating fish I've never had mine eat anything.. he's almost 6 inches from top fin to bottom and at least 4-5 Inches from nose to back fin. And he enjoy the company of my 1 1/2 inch Sepraes :P

They probably don't recognize the Serpaes as food... The Neons on the other hand are part of their natural diet in the wild... same with shrimps. I also wouldn't keep more than 1 Angel and 1 Gourami unless they're both male/female pairs, but that's just me.

kitten_penang 08-30-2010 10:33 AM

those fish are too big. it has to fit in it's mouth lol fish eggs, fry's those things.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-30-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 459717)
those fish are too big. it has to fit in it's mouth lol fish eggs, fry's those things.

When you get Neons they're usually about a 1/3 of an inch or less... at least here. Could fit into the mouth of the Angels I used to keep.

kitten_penang 08-30-2010 10:46 AM

0.0 you get them that small omg

kitten_penang 08-30-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 459722)
When you get Neons they're usually about a 1/3 of an inch or less... at least here. Could fit into the mouth of the Angels I used to keep.

he was talking bout his 1 1/2 inch Sepraes they wont fit lol

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-30-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 459729)
0.0 you get them that small omg

Yeah, they're microscopic, lol. Couldn't even see them properly in the 10g until they hit a bit bigger than a 1/2 inch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 459730)
he was talking bout his 1 1/2 inch Sepraes they wont fit lol

Yeah. I thought you were talking to me about Neons.

Inga 08-30-2010 11:09 AM

I agree, definitely only 1 Blue Gourami and don't put Tiger Barbs with the Angel. I do have a Blue Gourami with 7 Tiger Barbs and they all get along fine. Might be a good idea to get a larger Blue Gourami to start before adding some small barbs. Also, with the Barbs, the more you have the less they will pick on others. They will just fart around with each other. I would recommend adding a few to that number. Maybe at least 8 or 9 I had 8 but one recently died. I will probably add a few more. They are not a problem with the other fish I have in the tank I have Oto's, Platys, rainbow shark and the Gourami. The Barbs are fine with everyone. I think if you only have a few though, they will be more of a problem.