Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angels with Bolivian Rams??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angels-bolivian-rams-50412/)

fish1983 08-29-2010 03:36 PM

Angels with Bolivian Rams???

ok so i read that angels and Bolivian ram get along together in a tank and what not, so i did some research. i read that angels need a more alkaline water (around 6.8, which my tank currently sits at) and the rams need more acidic water (around 7 to 7.5) so how is that supposed to work??? i already have a black water aquarium set up with angelfish and some cories. its a 55 gallon and was wanting to add some more fish... any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated thanks...:dunno:

bones14 08-29-2010 03:48 PM

Both are adaptdable but both prefer softer,acidic water.They're both SA cichlids and in nature would be found in similar water parameters.You can look at both in the Tropical Fish Profiles at the top of the forum.

fish1983 08-29-2010 03:56 PM

that's what i thought but can never be to sure... THANKS LEE!!

Byron 08-29-2010 07:10 PM

You got the acid/alkaline mixed in your first post, perhaps just accidentally. Water with a pH below 7 is acidic, more acidic the lower the number; water with a pH above 7 is basic (alkaline), the higher the number the more alkaline (and usually hard). At 6.8 you are just slightly acidic, and that is perfect for both species mentioned, as Lee pointed out. I just wanted to ensure you had the acid/alkaline straight.

Byron.

LisaC144 08-29-2010 07:21 PM

I keep Angels and Bolivian Rams together. They mix very nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

fish1983 08-31-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 459212)
You got the acid/alkaline mixed in your first post, perhaps just accidentally. Water with a pH below 7 is acidic, more acidic the lower the number; water with a pH above 7 is basic (alkaline), the higher the number the more alkaline (and usually hard). At 6.8 you are just slightly acidic, and that is perfect for both species mentioned, as Lee pointed out. I just wanted to ensure you had the acid/alkaline straight.

Byron.

Oh yeah :) that was by accident. I should proof read before posting lol thank you all for your input. I'm definitely getting some Bolivian Rams!!
Posted via Mobile Device

LisaC144 08-31-2010 11:25 AM

For a 55g I would go with 2 rams. Any more and their could be territory issues.

fish1983 08-31-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 460744)
For a 55g I would go with 2 rams. Any more and their could be territory issues.

2 males? 2 females? 1 of each? And how do you tell the difference in this particular fish? Other than my angelfish these will be my first cichlids...
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 08-31-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish1983 (Post 460811)
2 males? 2 females? 1 of each? And how do you tell the difference in this particular fish? Other than my angelfish these will be my first cichlids...
Posted via Mobile Device

It is very difficult to sex Bolivian Ram when young, which is the size usually seen in stores. Have a read of our profile on this fish, it explains the gender differences, but again this is only reliable (somewhat) in larger fish.

And from my personal experience with these fish--and I have a pair herding their fry around my 115g tank as I write this--you should add them all at the same time. Same as with angels actually. Adding a ram later when one is already "at home" is asking for problems. If you can get a true pair, they will be fine together from the start. If you get two males they will establish their individual territories from the start (once settled) and should be OK. If you add a second male later when there is a male in the tank, the second male may well get killed. A cichlid stakes out its territory and defends it agains other cichlids of that species, and when a "new kid on the block" appears, it is often made very aware that it is not welcome because the original considers the tank his domain.

As noted in the profile, this species does very sell in isolation (one fish).

fish1983 08-31-2010 04:40 PM

will def take that into consideration