Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose breeding plan (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-breeding-plan-50391/)

1stAquarium 08-29-2010 06:37 AM

Bristlenose breeding plan
 
I have a 17 US gal tank with 50 watt heater, and lighting in the hood. I am going to make a sponge filter as I currently have a Fluval U2 which would eat the fry!
After doing some research, my plan for making a sponge filter is: get a large sponge with large porous holes (I already have some filter sponges), poke a hole halfway through the middle of the sponge, get a length of tubing and poke small holes through one end of it, put the length of tubing down into the sponge (holey end first) and attach the other end of the tubing to a powerhead which will blow air down the tube. Will this be okay? Can I also use an airstone or is there anything else I can do which will make it better and is simple to make?
Also, can I use an old sponge from one of my established filters to speed up the cycling process?

kitten_penang 08-29-2010 07:26 PM

i don't have a clue about diy filters unless it's a sump but good luck with that.

1stAquarium 08-30-2010 02:40 PM

lol thanks. how does a sump work exactly? something iv never really investigated :)

1077 08-31-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 458816)
I have a 17 US gal tank with 50 watt heater, and lighting in the hood. I am going to make a sponge filter as I currently have a Fluval U2 which would eat the fry!
After doing some research, my plan for making a sponge filter is: get a large sponge with large porous holes (I already have some filter sponges), poke a hole halfway through the middle of the sponge, get a length of tubing and poke small holes through one end of it, put the length of tubing down into the sponge (holey end first) and attach the other end of the tubing to a powerhead which will blow air down the tube. Will this be okay? Can I also use an airstone or is there anything else I can do which will make it better and is simple to make?
Also, can I use an old sponge from one of my established filters to speed up the cycling process?

Would stick with the fluval U2 filter for this tank. Bristlenose fry will stay with the male on the nest for approx four weeks before venturing out and at this time,they should be large enough not to get drawn into the filter.If you like,you could purchase some nylon netting material from fabric store and wrap it around the filter and hold in place with large rubber band but again,,, I don't see the filter as being a problem by looking at photos of this filter.
Do be aware that 17 gallons is too small for Male and female Bristlenose plus fry.
Hope yopu are planning on breeding the fish in large tank, and that the smaller tank is for the fry.
Sponge filter could work as you described but as cheap as they are,,i would perhaps just buy one already constructed.
In any event,,you want the powerhead if this is used,,to pull water into the sponge rather than force water down the tube and out of the sponge.

kitten_penang 08-31-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 459895)
lol thanks. how does a sump work exactly? something iv never really investigated :)


sumps are filers made from aquariums or other large containers :-D

1stAquarium 08-31-2010 07:15 AM

Thanks a lot 1077, I will stick with the fluval u2 then :)

I am going to breed them in the 17 gallon as I've read that it's a nightmare trying to catch the fry from the main tank once they are free swimming! I can imagine as it takes me long enough to catch my adults!

Once the fry are independent I will take the male out. The female will be put back in the main tank too once she has laid. I have various 'grow out' tanks and friends wanting a BN, and there is a LFS not too far from me who will take very young babies anyway if I end up with loads.

1stAquarium 08-31-2010 07:23 AM

Also, any other tips on what I should have in the tank? So far it's bare bottom tank, heater, filter, driftwood and decorations, hiding/breeding holes. Should I have plants?

1077 08-31-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 460639)
Also, any other tips on what I should have in the tank? So far it's bare bottom tank, heater, filter, driftwood and decorations, hiding/breeding holes. Should I have plants?

Plants in my view would help. Java fern ,anubia, java moss.
Young fry after they venture out from the nest, have voracious appetites, I recently rounded up approx 100 of the little buggers from 75 gallon tank.
I fed them once daily, with spirulina pellets,algae wafers,spirulina based brine shrimp, along with some sinking african pelllet foods which were high in protein and vegetable matter.
I frequently left zuchinni slices and lettuce in the tank for two or three days so that fishes could always have some food to nibble on.
Vegetable matter does not contain animal proteins that can foul the water ,so leaving it in for a couple days won't compromise water conditions and if the little ones are anything like the ones i cared for,,the vegetable matter should disappear quickly.
I performed water changes twice each week to ensure that water quality was not an issue.
Hope you have success.;-)

1stAquarium 08-31-2010 08:37 AM

Great thank you :)

Urgh I've just thrown a load of Java Moss out as it was taking over my main tank and growing like a stringy cotton wool texture green mass from it??! I have plenty of plants I can use though.

How much water did you change each time?

Now all I need is a female lol, I have two males ATM as I asked for a female a few months back and it's turned out to be a male. Unless females ever have bristles? Going to look in a LFS later, can't wait!

1077 08-31-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 460670)
Great thank you :)

Urgh I've just thrown a load of Java Moss out as it was taking over my main tank and growing like a stringy cotton wool texture green mass from it??! I have plenty of plants I can use though.

How much water did you change each time?

Now all I need is a female lol, I have two males ATM as I asked for a female a few months back and it's turned out to be a male. Unless females ever have bristles? Going to look in a LFS later, can't wait!

I changed 50 percent twice each week due to the numbers of fish and waste produced. I also had some tetras in the tank Approx 30.
But would still recommend 50 percent water changes which is what I do once a week on all tanks regardless of fish population.
If you have been performing smaller, more infrequent changes,then perhaps twice weekly 25 to 30 percent to begin with ,then after a couple weeks of this,, I might begin with 50 percent changes.
This should help lessen any effects of sudden changes in water chemistry. Once a week 50 percent works well for most tanks but with numerous fry and frequent feedings,I would try for twice weekly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2