Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking Options... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-options-50378/)

Brandmaner 08-29-2010 12:12 AM

Stocking Options...

Fixing up my empty tanks.. 29G, 10G, 3G... I know my g/f wants a green spotted puffer... would he be okay in a 3G? Or which of the three tanks should I put him in? And with what.. if any other fish/inverts? Also I am super interested in inverts for FW... so any ideas on that is accepted too.. and the 3G tank is a cylinder shape.. so not much surface area at all. But I prefer to make the 29G into a very very nice planted tank for inverts only pretty much with one or two small fish.. maybe more depending on your opinions. Same for the 3G/10G. But I need to know where to put the GSP first. Well thanks in advance for your help. (G/f wants the GSP in our 95G community tank, but I don't think that's such a good idea..)

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-29-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 458684)
Fixing up my empty tanks.. 29G, 10G, 3G... I know my g/f wants a green spotted puffer... would he be okay in a 3G? Or which of the three tanks should I put him in? And with what.. if any other fish/inverts? Also I am super interested in inverts for FW... so any ideas on that is accepted too.. and the 3G tank is a cylinder shape.. so not much surface area at all. But I prefer to make the 29G into a very very nice planted tank for inverts only pretty much with one or two small fish.. maybe more depending on your opinions. Same for the 3G/10G. But I need to know where to put the GSP first. Well thanks in advance for your help. (G/f wants the GSP in our 95G community tank, but I don't think that's such a good idea..)

I keep GSPs and I wouldn't recommend anything less than 30g per full grown fish. GSPs are vicious little guys and will pretty much kill any other life in the tank. Including, but not limited to, plants, inverts, fish, crickets, worms, small crustaceans, and other insects/insect larvae, etc. Solo fish basically. It would kill EVERYTHING (fish up to 3x its size) in your 95g. Eventually.

You could actually keep 2-3 juveniles in that 29 for a few years though.

Brandmaner 08-29-2010 08:23 AM

Alright. I might buy another 55G from Petco with that sale that got going on just to house a GSP .. I plan to breed some type of shrimp for a life food source :P lol.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-29-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 458832)
Alright. I might buy another 55G from Petco with that sale that got going on just to house a GSP .. I plan to breed some type of shrimp for a life food source :P lol.

2 could grow to adult size in a 55, but you may need to upgrade later.

Instead of shrimp, I would recommend breeding Common Pond Snails. The GSPs natural diet is crustaceans and they need the shells and roughage to ground down their beaks so they don't become overgrown. If you wanted to do both though, Ghost Shrimp would work fine. Supplement this with frozen/freeze/live-dried Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms for a well balanced diet. This is just a small portion of their diet as they will eat pretty much anything.

What were you thinking as far as their environment? Deco, etc, and what were you thinking as far as the transition from Fresh>Brackish>Marine?

Brandmaner 08-29-2010 06:07 PM

I was thinking when we first get them setup... to have it as FW with VERY little salt, as the time goes on adding alittle bit more salt then after about a year making them full saltwater with the correct saltine levels with a hydrometer. of 0.23 isn't it? As for decorations not sure on that... still.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-29-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandmaner (Post 459206)
I was thinking when we first get them setup... to have it as FW with VERY little salt, as the time goes on adding alittle bit more salt then after about a year making them full saltwater with the correct saltine levels with a hydrometer. of 0.23 isn't it? As for decorations not sure on that... still.

Just make sure they have a sort of cave system. o.o I have a few caves in mine so each of them have their own "room" of sorts.