Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Trumpet Snail Behavior (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/trumpet-snail-behavior-50362/)

SinCrisis 08-28-2010 08:54 PM

Trumpet Snail Behavior

Hey all,

Recently, I did a huge water change on my tank and I noticed that all my trumpet snails are going to the surface, many have started to crawl on the surface of the water. Could I have accidentally added something to my tank during the water change to cause the snails to all go to the surface? I know they are capable of crawling on water's surfaces, but it seems that at least 60-70% of my snail population is at the top. I was told that if they behave like this, its time for a water change, but I just did that...

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

kitten_penang 08-29-2010 03:51 AM

check water params. stick a carbon and zeolite filter to remove any heavy metals. did you de-chlorinate the water first?

bones14 08-29-2010 04:12 AM

Check the source water as well(tap water I'm guessing).When you say a huge WC you could have changed your parameters as far as ph,ammonia,etc...

SinCrisis 08-29-2010 10:32 AM

I definitely dechlorinated the water first with stress coat. The water PH has gone up since it was ~40% water change and my water was heavily saturated with tannins from my drift wood before, the water change actually lightened up the water by several shades. I also dosed the tank with stability to help with the bio filter. I took out my carbon several months ago and I will put some in and see if that has any effect. I was told that carbon was bad for plants so I stopped using them.

dfbiggs 09-03-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 458874)
I definitely dechlorinated the water first with stress coat. The water PH has gone up since it was ~40% water change and my water was heavily saturated with tannins from my drift wood before, the water change actually lightened up the water by several shades. I also dosed the tank with stability to help with the bio filter. I took out my carbon several months ago and I will put some in and see if that has any effect. I was told that carbon was bad for plants so I stopped using them.

I don't know if I am interpreting your 1st sentence wrong...so you used dechlorinater and stress coat? I really don't see a pH swing being a problem. They can tolerate a lot. It would only have to be something with the parameters of your tap water...copper is toxic to them. The only other things could think of is high ammonia or nitrates. But that doen't seem right.

It is also quite possible they didn't like the chemicals you put in..whether it is the chemical itself or the dosage.

The best direction is to test parameters..if they are normal I would think it is with your chemicals.

redchigh 09-03-2010 05:29 PM

Oh the ph swing could definately be the issue...

Do you test for ammonia?

If the water is acidic, ammonia exists mostly as ammonium, which is much less toxic... If the water change raised the ph, it could have suddenly caused the ammonium to convert to ammonia, which is toxic.

Also, trumpets can't crawl on the waters suface.. pond snails can.

MTS will climb the glass and leave the tank if the water is toxic to them. If you actually have pond snails, they could just be hungry.

SinCrisis 09-04-2010 10:46 AM

Well it seems that the water change made them go haywire, they are behaving normally now, sticking to the bottom. I did see my tank go through a mini cycle, it got cloudy for a day and the ammonia spiked. I dosed with stability and it was normal the next day and the snails were back to hiding. Some are still hanging out at the top, a little more than was previously. i will bring my water to a petco and get it tested since i thinnk the chemicals in my kit may be off, it keeps telling me my PH is 7.8 before and after the water change, and it really should not be seeing as how my water was a dark tea colored mess before and is now only slightly tea colored, so a lot of the acid was removed.