Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Reefs - Vodka Doseing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/reefs-vodka-doseing-50282/)

bearwithfish 08-27-2010 02:18 PM

Reefs - Vodka Doseing?

ok so i have heard of this and i have read a little... so before this opens up please note the main thing i have learned

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT TOTALLY PREPARED FOR IT....
gain all the knowledge you can fist!!!

no i call on the more experienced members of the forum who have a much much better understanding of this process to please enlighten me..... i am eager to learn but not eager to attempt it

reefsahoy 08-27-2010 02:50 PM

you're gonna kill my fingers now arn't you LOL!

ok basically
The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria. The addition of vodka or sugar is thought to increase bacterial biomass. the bacteria the consume waste and NO3 and PO4 can drop quickly from detectable levels by most test kits on the market. you can also use brightwells MB7 bacteria to add to your water. the bacteria leads to an increase in skimmate production, removing more waste than without vodka addition. you must have a GOOD skimmer to dose vodka or carbon.

reefsahoy 08-27-2010 02:51 PM

if you remove phosphates too quickly you will kill everything in the tank because the corals are already acclimated to phosphates. so be careful

bearwithfish 08-27-2010 09:05 PM

i will state again i am not ready to do this as i dont have the skill or knowledge to attempt.... but hypothetically speaking now that i understand the basic principle what would one do to figure out how much and how to dose?

reefsahoy 08-27-2010 09:30 PM

BEFORE TRYING THIS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ELIMINATED ALL OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES AND SOURCES OF PHOSPHATE. CUT BACK ON FEEDING, TRY PHOSPHATE REMOVER, SURELY USE A RO/DI ETC. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRY THIS UNTIL YOU'VE TAKEN ALL STEPS BEFORE HAND TO LOWER PHOSPHATE. YOUR PHOSPHATE SHOULD BE RELATIVELY LOW TO BEGIN WITH. THIS IS JUST TO BRING IT TO UNDETECTABLE AMOUNTS. AND HAVE A GOOD, DID I MENTION A GOOD, SKIMMER? NOT SOME MICKEY MOUSE SKIMMER!

measure your phosphate level with a good low dose kit. then basically the starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons of net water for the first 3 days then double the amount for days 4 to 7. then every week add .5ml of vodka until you see phosphate start to drop. hold that amount until phosphate is undetectable then backoff the vodka by half. then keep measuring phosphate, I normally start to lower the dosage until phosphate start to creep and if it starts to change adjust vodka 0.1 either way and keep phosphate low. now you have to keep an eye on livestock for signs of stress and adjust vodka lower if you see stress. if you drop phosphate low too fast you can kill everything.