Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   a few questions about stocking and gravel... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/few-questions-about-stocking-gravel-50187/)

dorabaker 08-26-2010 07:20 AM

a few questions about stocking and gravel...

yet another thread...i really am addicted to this site :-P
so i have a few more questions...yes, MORE questions. first, how much gravel (kilos) do you think i need for a 15 gallon tank (24 x 12 x 15 inches...approximate measurements)
second, can anyone recommend some nice south-east asian bottomfeeders that would be at home in a 15 gallon? i wanted dwarf chain loaches, but having seen the exorbitant prices of them, i have a nasty feeling i won't be able to afford it :cry:
third, i might need to get some ferts for my plants, and although someone recommended seachem flourish comprehensive i'm not sure u can get that in australia (will have to check at my lfs) so can you tell me what a good fert is that is available in aus?
i'm sure i have more questions, but can't think of them right now...
in the meantime, if there aren't any loaches i can afford or fit in my tank, would a bristlenose pleco be ok, or some corys? i WAS going for a SE-Asian biotope, but i'm starting to think that won't be practical. and i miss having plecs and corys, my fave fish :-(
i was feeling really discouraged about this hobby when my pandas died, but then i started thinking about an asian biotope and felt motivated again. now i'm feeling discouraged again. :-?

thefishboy 08-26-2010 07:42 AM

Arnt u getting cherry barbs and a few loach type things?? Are there any other type of loaches u can get?? Get some corys!! They are so cool

dorabaker 08-26-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 456148)
Arnt u getting cherry barbs and a few loach type things?? Are there any other type of loaches u can get?? Get some corys!! They are so cool

i am getting cherry barbs, but when i called the lfs today, the loaches were so expensive i think i won't be able to get them :(
i love corys, but i wanted an asian biotope and corys are from south america...

thefishboy 08-26-2010 07:49 AM

:( fish are quite expensive, especially if you nedd a shoal 1 or 2 might not be expensive but then u nedd like 5 and it adds up?

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 07:49 AM

cory's and plecos are south american dorabarker but they are dam cute though.

dorabaker 08-26-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 456158)
:( fish are quite expensive, especially if you nedd a shoal 1 or 2 might not be expensive but then u nedd like 5 and it adds up?

ok we are talking about fish that are $35 each k? :-? i think thats what he said anyway, maybe it was $5...i sure hope so.

thefishboy 08-26-2010 07:52 AM

Ooh 35 each!! and if u nedd a few that will be a lot of money!! Well lets hopeit was $5

dorabaker 08-26-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 456159)
cory's and plecos are south american dorabarker but they are dam cute though.

:lol: they so are...but i've always had SA tanks in the past and i wanted to try something different. maybe this is the reason i've always stuck with SA fish? :| they are just affordable and cute and widely available...

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 07:53 AM

try the two spot catfish they get about 6 inches though.they eat catfish food,algae and live foods or an ornate bagrid 1.5 inch, shoaling type.

tanker 08-26-2010 07:56 AM

You can get Flourish here in Australia.