Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   overpriced fish stores! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/overpriced-fish-stores-50183/)

dorabaker 08-26-2010 02:08 AM

overpriced fish stores!

both my lfs's are HUGELY OVERPRICED. how on earth am i going to afford everything i need for my 15 gallon south-east asian biotope? :shock:

ok so i just rang up the two fish stores i've been to recently. the first one didn't have crypts (which i wanted), didn't have dwarf chain loaches (had pakistanis instead) and their cherry barbs were $7. SEVEN DOLLARS? how am i supposed to afford a shoal if they are that much each :evil:
i also wanted some 2 mm gravel, they sold 3 mm gravel for $3 a kilo. thats ok i guess..

second store had crypts, but they were $10 - and i wanted six of them!
they had cherry barbs for $3 but were out of stock (doesn't matter much as i won't be getting any for a while.)
they also had dwarf loaches but were also out of stock. those were $5 i think...
i also wanted fine gravel and the second store only sold 20 kilo bags of that for like $30 or something!

anyway, i am feeling very discouraged. especially about the crypts, i really wanted them! so i thought i'd ask, does anyone know any good sites for buying live plants off, preferably under $6? i thought there might be something on ebay, but there wasn't. oh and it has to be able to ship to australia, or preferably based in aus..

burnsbabe 08-26-2010 03:26 AM

I don't have any online suggestions as my LFS is excellent. I did want to suggest though that $30 for a 20 kilo bag is not that bad for the gravel. You won't use quite all of it, but the odds that you get a second tank eventually are high, right?

Also, $5 for the Dwarf Chain Loaches is a good deal. At least here in the States. I have a shoal of 6 that cost me $60 and that was a 6 for $60 special. They were individually $12.95 I want to say? The Dwarf Chains are just expensive fish.

$7 for cherry barbs is a bit crazy. $3 isn't so bad.

That's just my $0.02US. Dunno what that is is Aussie money. :-D

dorabaker 08-26-2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsbabe (Post 456067)
I don't have any online suggestions as my LFS is excellent. I did want to suggest though that $30 for a 20 kilo bag is not that bad for the gravel. You won't use quite all of it, but the odds that you get a second tank eventually are high, right?

Also, $5 for the Dwarf Chain Loaches is a good deal. At least here in the States. I have a shoal of 6 that cost me $60 and that was a 6 for $60 special. They were individually $12.95 I want to say? The Dwarf Chains are just expensive fish.

$7 for cherry barbs is a bit crazy. $3 isn't so bad.

That's just my $0.02US. Dunno what that is is Aussie money. :-D

haha 2 cents is probably about the same in aus dollars...exchange rate usually isn't too bad.

come to think of it, i'm not sure whether the guy said $5 or $35 for the loaches :lol: it had better be $5 or i'm doomed...:-(

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 07:55 AM

try to source them from malaysia.the shipping is expensive but the livestock if not stated in USD is dirt cheap

dorabaker 08-26-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 456169)
try to source them from malaysia.the shipping is expensive but the livestock if not stated in USD is dirt cheap

the loachies you mean? or the plants? any online store u would recomend...

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 08:31 AM

opps i replied in you other thread =p

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 08-26-2010 09:07 AM

sweet aquatics is my favorite place to buy live plants online.

Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics

dorabaker 08-26-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 456226)
sweet aquatics is my favorite place to buy live plants online.

Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics

yeah i found that and i was like 'hooray!' and then i saw they only shipped to the US...:-(

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 09:19 AM

dora i think you need to see this Bay Fish | Aquarium Fish Wholesalers - Australia , Tropical Fish Dealers - FAQ about Buying Tropical Fish and Goldfish. , Aquaculture Australia =) looks good to me.

dorabaker 08-26-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 456240)

thanks, the second last one has loaches for $5. what do u know about zebra loaches? they look nice.
i think if they are under $6 ill just get fish from my lfs, its plants that are the problem really