Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   29 Gallon Tank - Stocking Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/29-gallon-tank-stocking-suggestions-50162/)

enragingchaos 08-25-2010 07:42 PM

29 Gallon Tank - Stocking Suggestions?

I gave up my Jack Dempsey to the local pet store here because I have a 29 gallon tank.

The tank is cycled obviously and I have put 6 neon tetras and 2 silver tip tetras in there for now.

One of the neons I found the next day in the filter.

Other than that it's been three or four days and they appear to be doing fine. My question is what choices do I have now? Get some more neons? What would go well and what would be enjoyable fish to stock in this tank?

Also, with small fish such as neons, should I replace my filter with one that they couldn't get caught in?

My filter is one of those which the suction tube goes down in the water...

Any tips, advice, stocking ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oh...and they sold my Jack Dempsey either that day or the next! So hopefully he got a good home with a 55 gallon tank or more! :-)

Thanks Guys!

philipboucharddavies 08-25-2010 08:07 PM

Id get the two school up to about 8, add a centerpiece fish like some dwarf chiclids, six corys and a few snails for algea control.

Phil :)

enragingchaos 08-25-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipboucharddavies (Post 455787)
Id get the two school up to about 8, add a centerpiece fish like some dwarf chiclids, six corys and a few snails for algea control.

Very nice, this is what I was looking for! My 29 gallon will support all of these fish?

The two dwarf cichlids won't eat my neons?

As for the lighting, how long should I keep the aquarium light on every day?

I really like this suggestion, Phil...very much.

Edit: I've tried Ram Cichlids before and loved them, didn't really have much luck with them, though. Do you constantly have to check their water parameters? They're a harder fish to keep for sure, but is there a trick to them?

enragingchaos 08-25-2010 09:00 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?

What about Ram Cichlids? I was told by the LFS before that I should buy more than I need because they will randomly die for no reason.

So has anyone here had luck with Rams? What are your suggestions for keeping them? I really enjoy them and would like to add two of them per Phil's suggestion as I really would like to have a couple of them again and be able to KEEP them.

So...let the advice pour in! :lol:

philipboucharddavies 08-26-2010 12:44 AM

get bolivian rams they are more hardy than german blues which is what you may have had.

enragingchaos 08-26-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipboucharddavies (Post 456025)
get bolivian rams they are more hardy than german blues which is what you may have had.

Yup! I had the german blues...not very hardy at all.

How long should I wait to put the Corys in?

philipboucharddavies 08-26-2010 12:54 PM

after its cycled just do as you would with any other and every other fish just add a few fish at a time.