Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Nitrates - problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/nitrates-problems-50160/)

walkytalky 08-25-2010 07:00 PM

Nitrates - problems

I am going absolutely crazy

I have 2 tanks a 38 and 75(used).
I have had the 38 for about 2 yrs now And the 75 since I moved 3 months ago.
I had my FS employees(owners) move my 38 tank as well as set up the 75 gallon tank for me.
And I have nitrate problems in both tanks ever since. Both are extremely high in Nitrates. I mentioned this to my FS and they gave me a product called"PRODIBIO" which is to eat up the Nitrates. Well lets say it killed one of my fish, and raised my nitrates even higher. We even tested the tap water which came out with out a trace of Nitrate. So we know its not the tap water.
I have gone thru two 5 gallon pails of salt (thats quite a few water changes)
I have all the things that are needed in the tanks: pwr heads, skimmer etc. including a sump for the 75.

So does any one out there know why this is happening and how to fix it quickly and cheaply?:cry:

Thanks

bearwithfish 08-25-2010 08:37 PM

well hmmmm this does seem a bit odd almost like your tanks are cycling over again... do you have skimmers on both? i would suggest temporarily moving the skimmer from the sump to the DT and run it there for a while to get at everything real good.... next i would run tests on all your parameters and post them here so some of our more experienced members can look at them and ask more informed questions to help you along.....

Pasfur 08-25-2010 08:46 PM

We need total details of these setups to figure this out. Pictures would be great. Exactly what type of filtration, sand bed depth, live rock(?), types and numbers of fish, feeding habits, and exact test results. Nitrates can be complicated, so details are important.

reefsahoy 08-26-2010 06:54 AM

You never mentioned live rock!.

1. Are you sure we are talking nitrate and not nitrite?

if nitrate

2. how much, how old and quality of live rock do you have? if not enough add some.
3. got bio balls? if yes slowly get rid of them if you have enough live rock.
4. continue to do water changes
5. dont use prodibio. that is really for advance reefers who are looking to tweek aquariums so their corals get INTENSE coloration with certain types of food and carbon dosing. I'm not saying prodibio dont work if used properly, i'm saying that its for advance reefers who really know what they are doing. If you use it incorrectly then the outcome can be, well you found out i guess.

bearwithfish 08-26-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 456121)
You never mentioned live rock!.

1. Are you sure we are talking nitrate and not nitrite?

if nitrate

2. how much, how old and quality of live rock do you have? if not enough add some.
3. got bio balls? if yes slowly get rid of them if you have enough live rock.
4. continue to do water changes
5. dont use prodibio. that is really for advance reefers who are looking to tweek aquariums so their corals get INTENSE coloration with certain types of food and carbon dosing. I'm not saying prodibio dont work if used properly, i'm saying that its for advance reefers who really know what they are doing. If you use it incorrectly then the outcome can be, well you found out i guess.

good points

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 455830)
We need total details of these setups to figure this out. Pictures would be great. Exactly what type of filtration, sand bed depth, live rock(?), types and numbers of fish, feeding habits, and exact test results. Nitrates can be complicated, so details are important.

i could not agree more sir!!!!

walkytalky 08-26-2010 03:39 PM

k yes its nitrates
no i don't have bio wheels at all
too late for the Prodibio its already in the tank.
I haven't done any other tests so far.
I have 1 inch of crushed coral in both tanks
I would have to say that the lR in the small tank is around 2.5 -3 yrs old same age as the tank
The large tank is only 3 months old with enough lR as well as Crushed corals 1 inch and 60 lbs LR
They both have skimmers, 3 pwr heads and t5 lights
One question I was thinking was I changed my salt from Instant Ocean to ???(forgot the name) could this have an affect on the Nitrates?
What gets me is that BOTH tanks are having Nitrate problems.

onefish2fish 08-26-2010 04:33 PM

cut back on your feedings.

im willing to bet un-eaten food is getting trapped in your crushed coral ( which i dont suggest having ) and causing this problem.

walkytalky 08-26-2010 04:38 PM

I am only feeding 1 a day sometimes every other day

walkytalky 08-26-2010 06:37 PM

I went to my FS and got the water tested
here are the results
Nitrate 20 -40
Ammon 0
phosp 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4
Cal 360
water temp 82

reefsahoy 08-27-2010 09:41 AM

go here to read discussion on nitrate http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/s...ncy-bio-47415/