Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Want to start aquarium, buy from craigslist? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/want-start-aquarium-buy-craigslist-50151/)

CMurphy3639 08-25-2010 07:08 PM

Want to start aquarium, buy from craigslist?

I'm interested in starting up an aquarium but as a poor college student I'm really trying to save some money. I really like the idea of the hexagonal aquarium both because of my space limitations as well as the design for the tank in my head. I found this on craigslist and wanted to go take a look, figuring $35 for a 35 gallon tank was a steal. Obviously I don't trust any of that electrical equipment pictured and would get newer equipment, but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with buying used? If it isn't scratched and just dirty, is it easy to clean up?

Hexagonal Fish Tank Aquarium 35 gal?

Thanks.

CMurphy3639 08-25-2010 07:12 PM

Also, I pulled up a hexagonal calculator and it told me that an 18'' side by 23'' height is 80+ gallons?

marhlfld 08-25-2010 09:11 PM

If you do have space limitations, 35 and/or 80 gallons is humongous! Figure on 8 lbs of water weight per gallon. Yes, that would be an excellent price for a 35 or 80 gallon. I've been shopping on craigs list too, and have been picking up 10 gallons for $20. That usually includes hood, light, filter and sometimes a heater, with gravel and some decorations. A good heater is $40 retail for a 10 gallon. So shopping on Craigs list is a great way to go. Some scratching, if minor won't show up once water is in the tank. Deep gouges are a different story.

aunt kymmie 08-25-2010 09:20 PM

All but one of my tanks (I have five) have come from craigslist. :-)

Inga 08-25-2010 09:26 PM

I have yet to find a good deal on craigslist but I know of people that have. IT seems that many of the people putting their tanks on craigslist in this area, want NEW prices for them. The few that have been good deals were gone in an few hours of their listing. Admittedly, I have also been looking.

I am not sure the Hex is the best bet but if you want fish like Angels or something, it would be nice. Not a lot of floor space so very limiting in the variety of fish you could have in there.

enragingchaos 08-25-2010 09:32 PM

I purchased mine from Wal-Mart but only because I just wanted to get the filter and everything all together. My next tank will be from Craigslist probably. It's sooo much cheaper and you can find some great deals!

I'm not ready to buy, but I was looking and saw a 55 gallon and stand and filter, and decorations and gravel for $100! It had a pic and was very nice! Some people just want to get rid of their stuff...

Romad 08-25-2010 09:57 PM

This is the size of a 20 gallon hex
18 3/4 x 16 1/4 x 20 5/8

I'm guessing it's more like 20 or 25 gallons given their measurements. I say go for it but keep in mind that most fish need to swim lengthwise and won't thrive in a hex. tank.
Small angelfish would be the exception or schools of small tetras like cardinals or neons.

Good luck.

jeaninel 08-26-2010 02:07 AM

I've bought 3 of my tanks from Craigslist. The latest was my 135 gallon for $150 (tank and stand). A bit of white vinegar and some elbow grease will clean it up nicely. Check the seals and fill it up to check for leaks before you set it up in the house.