Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Photos of the fish from my local fish shop! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/photos-fish-my-local-fish-shop-50122/)

thefishboy 08-25-2010 06:24 AM

Photos of the fish from my local fish shop!

9 Attachment(s)
This is some of the fish im getting. My new stock list is this, even though every1 will disagree
6 zebra leopard danios
5 honey gouramis
6 corys
pleco
shoal of tetra
the pics are as followed

1 corydoras julli
2 corydoras julli
3 honey gourami
4 dwarf gourami
5 bristle nosed plec
6clown plec
7 clown plec
8 small betta tanks
9 new larger tanks (both tanks still being used)

dorabaker 08-25-2010 06:34 AM

those fish actually look really nice and healthy :)
i know you dont want to hear this but i think you'll be overstocking with that lot. they are lovely species though.
what ratio of female to male are you getting with the gouramis? and what kind of tetras? :)

thefishboy 08-25-2010 06:39 AM

Well the peopl at the lfs said in that sized tank i could have 30-35 fish.
Well im getting all males for the gouramis, and i know at urll say!!
I like the neon tetras or the glowlight tetras! I dont know what other tetras are like? Do u know any good tetras.

6 danios (zebra or leopard)
5-6 corys
5 red honey gouramis male
1 pleco (clown/bristle nosed)
And maybe a small shoal of tetras

dorabaker 08-25-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455199)
Well the peopl at the lfs said in that sized tank i could have 30-35 fish.
Well im getting all males for the gouramis, and i know at urll say!!
I like the neon tetras or the glowlight tetras! I dont know what other tetras are like? Do u know any good tetras.

6 danios (zebra or leopard)
5-6 corys
And maybe a small shoal of tetras

oh no..no no no. never trust what the fish store people tell you! saying 'you can have 30 fish' doesn't mean you can have thirty fish...i mean, someone might hear that and put 30 fish that would grow to a foot long in the tank...see my point?
luckily all the fish on your stock list are small and, with the possible exception of the gouramis, peaceful...but i still think you're overstocking.
i've never had much luck with tiny tetras like neons - they get sucked into filters too easily. i love glowlight tetras, and i'd reccomend them even though i haven't kept them...they do like soft acid water though, which applies to all south american tetras. i'm no expert on tetras so maybe leave that to someone else to help you with...
any chance you could eliminate either the danios or the tetras from your stock list? would help with the possible-overstocking-problem..
i saw cherry barbs in the tank with the honey gouramis - they are nice little shoaling fish, maybe have some of those instead of tetras or danios? just a thought - i'm going to get some at some point i think.
just trying to help so that you don't end up with dead fish. that's never nice to have to go through and it can be prevented with a sensible stocking list. :)

thefishboy 08-25-2010 06:50 AM

I knwo what your saying im not quite sure yet, but im probably going with that :-? i was thinking glowlight tetras, or i might get a few extra danios??

dorabaker 08-25-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455206)
I knwo what your saying im not quite sure yet, but im probably going with that :-? i was thinking glowlight tetras, or i might get a few extra danios??

its nice to have a variety of fish, but if you got the glowlights you'd have to get at least 5 to have a shoal, whereas if you get 2 more danios then they'll all shoal together...get my point?

have you added up how much this is all going to cost? :|

thefishboy 08-25-2010 06:55 AM

I wont to go with wat ur sayin but also my LFS shop :|
Ive had an idea, i start with the danios after 2 weeks of tank setup, then gouramis, then corys and pleco, and after a few months if its all going well i could get some tetras.

dorabaker 08-25-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455208)

tsk, tsk, tsk. you should always trust the advice given to you on this site over any fish store, i'm afraid. :-P in the end, it will save you lots of money and dead fish. i'm serious...when i joined this site i was about to put more fish into an already overstocked 6 gallon tank, and everyone convinced me to set up my 15 gallon instead. i'm glad i did. not saying you should be looking for a bigger tank, just saying to choose your stocking list carefully.

dorabaker 08-25-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455208)
Ive had an idea, i start with the danios after 2 weeks of tank setup, then gouramis, then corys and pleco, and after a few months if its all going well i could get some tetras.

that's what you ought to be doing anyway :-) never add all those fish all at once! :-?
that sounds ok to me but i still think you're overstocking. mainly because of the number of gouramis...if you just got 3 i don't think it would be so bad. or if you really want that many, eliminate another species from your stocklist. another thing, if you gte 5 gouramis and they prove to be aggressive, that's a really bad thing to have 5 fish fighting and tearing each other to shreds. if you only got 2 or 3, you could wait and see how they behaved and then maybe get some more? or not.

thefishboy 08-25-2010 07:04 AM

Well i do beleive you but i kinda beleive the LFS, i am skipping the tetras and getting maybe
10 danios (zebra or leopard)
5-6 corys

All of those fish in that list come to 71 and thats the bristle nose not the cheaper clown pleco