Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Dwarf/Honey Gooramsi (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/dwarf-honey-gooramsi-50118/)

thefishboy 08-25-2010 02:35 AM

Dwarf/Honey Gooramsi

Is it possible to mix species of honey gourami and dwarf gourami or is that a definate no-no??

1077 08-25-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455104)
Is it possible to mix species of honey gourami and dwarf gourami or is that a definate no-no??

Would stick with the Honey gouramis, far less issues with aggression and the honey gouramis are not plauged by Iridovirus and or Mycobacterium that some of the other dwarf gouramis are.

Many of the male gouramis are quite aggressive with other males,and females are often hard to find due to them being less colorful. Stores sell way more males than females for this reason and is why you don't always find the females easily.

thefishboy 08-25-2010 03:02 AM

Ohh im tryong to get just female honey gouramis, but im pondering wether theres no point because the females have not as much colour!?

dorabaker 08-25-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455122)
Ohh im tryong to get just female honey gouramis, but im pondering wether theres no point because the females have not as much colour!?

maybe u should just get one male gourami....his prettiness will make up for the fact there is only one :-P

thefishboy 08-25-2010 03:10 AM

Maybe im not sure?! ill ask when i go to the pet shop to show me the feamles and if ther the 1s ive been looking at then ill probz stick wid the trio if not ill get one as a centre piece, and maybe some more guppys or guppys and platys?!!!

dorabaker 08-25-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455124)
Maybe im not sure?! ill ask when i go to the pet shop to show me the feamles and if ther the 1s ive been looking at then ill probz stick wid the trio if not ill get one as a centre piece, and maybe some more guppys or guppys and platys?!!!

more guppies maybe, but not the guppies and the platies together...methinks that is a bad idea. i've never kept platies (except for the one that died...:-() so i dont know much about their behaviour, but the guppy's trailing fins would probably be too tempting and they'd get attacked by the platies.

thefishboy 08-25-2010 03:16 AM

Platys dont seem to be a very good fish:-? every1 says not to get them! MAybe ill get a male dwarf gourami or 2 females and some extra guppys?? Im very fond of the snake tail guppy, beautiful fish!

dorabaker 08-25-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455128)
Platys dont seem to be a very good fish:-? every1 says not to get them! MAybe ill get a male dwarf gourami or 2 females and some extra guppys?? Im very fond of the snake tail guppy, beautiful fish!

the snakeskin guppies are gorgeous arent they?
i'm a bit worried about the dwarf gourami now i've heard about the diseases they can carry. i'd go with the honey gouramis. maybe you could get a male and two females?

thefishboy 08-25-2010 03:21 AM

I dont rely wont them to breed, 1 i dont have sufficant space and or the money to set up another tank for the fry
and 2 my mum is just letting me have some fish!! She doesnt want a baby fish!! And any way the corys might breed and that will be enough!!

dorabaker 08-25-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 455131)
I dont rely wont them to breed, 1 i dont have sufficant space and or the money to set up another tank for the fry
and 2 my mum is just letting me have some fish!! She doesnt want a baby fish!! And any way the corys might breed and that will be enough!!

i doubt that either will breed to be honest. the only fish i've ever managed to breed are mosquitofish, and as they are livebearers its pretty much impossible to STOP them breeding! but i guess some people are luckier than me. i bought corys just assuming they would breed because i had a male and a female, but actually everything needs to be perfect for fish to feel like breeding, and even then there's no guarantee they will. but i see your point...same reason i don't want to get a male betta :roll: