Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   fontinalis moss looking sad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/fontinalis-moss-looking-sad-50111/)

dorabaker 08-24-2010 11:32 PM

fontinalis moss looking sad?

i've had my 15 gal aquarium set up for about a month ( a bit over a month now) and a few weeks ago i bought some fontinalis moss. i failed to attach most of it to things, so some bits are just drifting now, other bits i've tied with fishing line to rocks and wood.
well when i got it it was nice and green, and since i've had it in the tank it's turning brown. i haven't got a light in my tank, but i've heard they like dim light. temp is 26, ph around 7 (it varies a bit as the tapwater is a bit harder and more alkaline and the water naturally starts to turn acid in the tank.) it doesn't seem to be growing either. i have some of the moss hiding my filter and it gets a bit more light there, and is looking greener. weird thing is my java fern, now that it isn't crowded into a tank with heaps of elodea blocking the light, has started to turn transparent. i can't believe it's actually getting TOO much light - the only lighting is ambient room lighting from a single warm fluorescent bulb mounted on the wall.
elodea looks nice and healthy, and is growing.
any advice? is the moss going to die or is it just turning brown because of the lack of light? should i get some more surface plants or more elodea to block light from the java fern? when i had the main tank in the 6 gallon and the plants were really packed in, my elodea kept dying and i think it was because it was so crowded it wasn't getting enough light. i don't want that to happen again.

redchigh 08-25-2010 10:23 AM

Low light and unlit are two completely different things. If it's relatively close to a window, that might be different, but I'm assuming it's not.

The moss will need more light, and most of the places I read says it likes some ferts too. (Flourish Comprehensive is good)

dorabaker 08-25-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 455284)
Low light and unlit are two completely different things. If it's relatively close to a window, that might be different, but I'm assuming it's not.

The moss will need more light, and most of the places I read says it likes some ferts too. (Flourish Comprehensive is good)

:-?
there's a sliding door into a narrow hallway which has a big window, on one side of the tank.
what should i do about the java fern going transparent?

Byron 08-26-2010 01:49 PM

From your comments, I do not believe there is sufficient light to grow plants in this tank. I would buy an incandescent hood, they will hold two screw-in bulbs, and with smaller tanks you can use compact fluorescent bulbs that are daylight (full spectrum equivalent) with a Kelvin of 6500K or around that. I have this over my 20g (which has the same surface area as a 15g) and it works very well. Two 10w CF daylight bulbs. Nice light, plants doing great, fish look lovely.

The brown moss is undoubtedly too little light. The JF might be a reaction to the same, even though transparency often means too much light. A plant leaf has only so many options...yellowing, blackening, going transparent...these can be caused by several things. I suspect too little light here.

Byron.

redchigh 08-26-2010 04:00 PM

I concur with Byron.

If you can't get a hood, at least get a gooseneck desk lamp over it with a good bulb...

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 04:10 PM

dont give up =)

kitten_penang 08-26-2010 04:11 PM

meaning of
con·curredcon·cur·ring
Definition of CONCUR

: to act together to a common end or single effect

a : approve <concur in a statement> b : to express agreement <concur with an opinion>

obsolete : to come together : meet

: to happen together : coincide

Examples of CONCUR

1. We concur that more money should be spent on education.
  2. “I think more time is needed.” “I concur.”

Origin of CONCUR

Middle English concurren, from Latin concurrere, from com- + currere to run — more at carFirst Known Use: 15th century

Related to CONCUR

Synonyms: coincide, agree
Antonyms: differ, disagree

Related Words: accede (to), accept, acquiesce, assent (to), comply (with), consent (to), go (by), subscribe; affiliate, ally, associate, unite; collaborate, cooperate, get along, get on
Near Antonyms: clash, collide, conflict; bicker, counter, dispute, dissent, diverge, fall out, object, oppose, protest, quarrel, resist, rival; dissociate, separate, split
see all synonyms and antonyms

[+]more[-]hide

See Synonym Discussion at agree

just so you know

dorabaker 08-26-2010 10:39 PM

haha i know what concur means :-D
thanks everyone, i;'m not sure if i could put a hood on my tank as i don't think it was deisgned for one. i might get a desk lamp though - my mum has heaps of clip-on ones taht are really good but obviously she doesn;t want to give me any! they dont cost much though so i could buy one. not sure how i would attach it though - i might have to put a bracket on the wall or something to clip it to. will an ordinary flueorescent like be ok? what wattage?

Byron 08-26-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 457002)
haha i know what concur means :-D
thanks everyone, i;'m not sure if i could put a hood on my tank as i don't think it was deisgned for one. i might get a desk lamp though - my mum has heaps of clip-on ones taht are really good but obviously she doesn;t want to give me any! they dont cost much though so i could buy one. not sure how i would attach it though - i might have to put a bracket on the wall or something to clip it to. will an ordinary flueorescent like be ok? what wattage?

What are the tank dimensions (just length and width of the frame)? If it is the standard a hood for a 15/20g will fit. The advantage is the light is enclosed, protected by a glass from the water, and not visible to glare in your eyes.

dorabaker 08-27-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 457050)
What are the tank dimensions (just length and width of the frame)? If it is the standard a hood for a 15/20g will fit. The advantage is the light is enclosed, protected by a glass from the water, and not visible to glare in your eyes.

12 x 24 inches/ 30 x 60 cm
mainly i'm worried about how much it'll cost! i'm already going broke just buying fish and gravel. i would like a hood though - they look so much neater.