Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sand substrate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-substrate-50050/)

thefishboy 08-24-2010 10:55 AM

Sand substrate

Hi, i was justwondering because it is good to use a very fine substrate for corys, could you use sand??

And if you could you it all get such up when you siphone the water up useing, one the the gravel cleaners??

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 454350)
Hi, i was justwondering because it is good to use a very fine substrate for corys, could you use sand??

And if you could you it all get such up when you siphone the water up useing, one the the gravel cleaners??

Cory's would actually prefer sand since it's closer to what they would be around in the wild. When they're feeding on the sand bed you can actually see the sand pass through their gills. :D Pretty awesome if you ask me.

And with sand, most debris tend to stay on the surface rather than slipping through the cracks like with gravel.

thefishboy 08-24-2010 11:08 AM

ok call and would allt he other would be tank mates be ok with sand?? i have the list in the other thread i think its 'what to put in with corydoras'!
thnk you

Byron 08-24-2010 12:31 PM

Sand is fine but there are issues with it. If you are experienced with aquaria you can give sand a try, but I would not recommend it otherwise. I have one sand substrate tank, the rest are all small gravel. Any my several species of corys in the gravel substrate tanks have done fine for 15 years.

thefishboy 08-24-2010 01:01 PM

Ok i think gravel will be the best option ill keep my eye out for small rounded gravel

Byron 08-24-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 454463)
Ok i think gravel will be the best option ill keep my eye out for small rounded gravel

That would be my preference. As small as you can find, and in a dark colour (natural, brown, black) works best for fish and plants.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 454476)
That would be my preference. As small as you can find, and in a dark colour (natural, brown, black) works best for fish and plants.

Yeah, I use gravel in my tanks with Cory Cats in them too. It just looks really cool when they're filtering sand through their gills.

thefishboy 08-24-2010 02:16 PM

Is that hen the are sifting throught he sand when they get food they swallow the food and the sand passes through there gills??

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 454533)
Is that hen the are sifting throught he sand when they get food they swallow the food and the sand passes through there gills??

Yes. Exactly.