Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   is this normal or not? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/normal-not-50041/)

dorabaker 08-24-2010 05:32 AM

is this normal or not?

i've noticed that ever since my golden gourami has been in the new tank (which has been set up about a month) she's been gulping air from the surface a lot. i have a homemade filter which utilises an air stone so there are always bubbles. temperature is usually between 25 and 27, since my corys died i've turned it up because gouramis like the heat.
i just wondered if this is normal for an anabantid, or if there's not enough oxygen or there's something wrong with her? nitrites and nitrates are 0 (i have plants so that explains the nitrate). i never noticed her doing this in the old tank, but then there were so many plants in that tank that i didn't see a lot of her.
a while ago i had a gill fluke infestation and i've been treating with praziquantel. (my corys recovered from the flukes but then died of fungus.) the gourami was never particularly affected by the flukes. i did noticed though that the long trailing fins (ventral fins) started to turn dark and sort of rotted at the tip. none of her other fins are affected. and i dont really think that has any bearing on the air gulping problem.
i would like someone's opinion on this though...

andrewsz123 08-24-2010 09:08 AM

Hello,

I have two gouramis in my tank and they do the same thing. From what I have read the gouramis natural environment is oxygen poor so they naturally go to the surface and breathe air. It is a natural thing and I would not worry about it. Check out the profile for the blue gourami it will explain more.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 454211)
i've noticed that ever since my golden gourami has been in the new tank (which has been set up about a month) she's been gulping air from the surface a lot. i have a homemade filter which utilises an air stone so there are always bubbles. temperature is usually between 25 and 27, since my corys died i've turned it up because gouramis like the heat.
i just wondered if this is normal for an anabantid, or if there's not enough oxygen or there's something wrong with her? nitrites and nitrates are 0 (i have plants so that explains the nitrate). i never noticed her doing this in the old tank, but then there were so many plants in that tank that i didn't see a lot of her.
a while ago i had a gill fluke infestation and i've been treating with praziquantel. (my corys recovered from the flukes but then died of fungus.) the gourami was never particularly affected by the flukes. i did noticed though that the long trailing fins (ventral fins) started to turn dark and sort of rotted at the tip. none of her other fins are affected. and i dont really think that has any bearing on the air gulping problem.
i would like someone's opinion on this though...

Like... more than usual? Because that's what Anabantids do. They have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath air from the surface. What is a lot?

dorabaker 08-24-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 454288)
Like... more than usual? Because that's what Anabantids do. They have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath air from the surface. What is a lot?

yeah i knew that and i wondered if it might be perfectly normal for an anabantid. it just seems a little odd...she's liking coming up for air every few moments, and she pauses when eating to gulp air. there are also little air bubbles in her poo, i guess because some of the air gets swallowed...
my betta i bought today is in a tank without any kind of oxygenation (well, except for HEAPS of plants) and she is hardly gulping air at all, just occasionally coming up to the surface for a quick breath.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 454300)
yeah i knew that and i wondered if it might be perfectly normal for an anabantid. it just seems a little odd...she's liking coming up for air every few moments, and she pauses when eating to gulp air. there are also little air bubbles in her poo, i guess because some of the air gets swallowed...
my betta i bought today is in a tank without any kind of oxygenation (well, except for HEAPS of plants) and she is hardly gulping air at all, just occasionally coming up to the surface for a quick breath.

Have you tested the water from the Gourami tank? She shouldn't have to come up that often (generally about the same as betta).

dorabaker 08-24-2010 09:34 AM

nitrite and nitrate are both reading 0 according to my API dip strips, although i know they aren't necessarily accurate. i don't have an ammonia test kit yet :-(
i'm doing pretty regular water changes because she's a rather messy fish and i have to keep siphoning. i'm pretty sure the tank is cycled. i attributed the zero nitrates to the plants...

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 454319)
nitrite and nitrate are both reading 0 according to my API dip strips, although i know they aren't necessarily accurate. i don't have an ammonia test kit yet :-(
i'm doing pretty regular water changes because she's a rather messy fish and i have to keep siphoning. i'm pretty sure the tank is cycled. i attributed the zero nitrates to the plants...

Well, I wouldn't just assume there is anything wrong. You need that ammonia test kit though... just in case. :|

dorabaker 08-24-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 454330)
Well, I wouldn't just assume there is anything wrong. You need that ammonia test kit though... just in case. :|

yeah...:-? they are so expensive though! everything in these stores seems overpriced. i can't believe it when i read on here about people getting plants for $3. all the plants i've seen (any of the remotely nice ones anyway) are at least $5, usually more. sigh...

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 454335)
yeah...:-? they are so expensive though! everything in these stores seems overpriced. i can't believe it when i read on here about people getting plants for $3. all the plants i've seen (any of the remotely nice ones anyway) are at least $5, usually more. sigh...

Yeah.. I usually buy online, but only in bulk... because if not, the shipping kills more than the overpriced fish stores.

dorabaker 08-24-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 454343)
Yeah.. I usually buy online, but only in bulk... because if not, the shipping kills more than the overpriced fish stores.

yeah i added some things to my cart on an online supply place to see how it added up, probably would have been cheaper than buying it at the LFS if it wasnt for shipping. gah.