Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   when a profile calls for live food? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/when-profile-calls-live-food-50040/)

Inga 08-24-2010 06:17 AM

when a profile calls for live food?

How many of you feed "live" food? I mean, truly alive, live food? Not me, obviously. I am too much of a wimp for such a brutal act. I will feed things like freeze dried blood worms, shrimp and krill, that type of stuff but not live. Once however, a fly landed on the water and the fish made quick work of eating the fly. Do you suppose they actually enjoy food in the freshest form?

My fish seem to behave as though they are starving all the time though. I mean, If I walk over by the aquarium and open the door to the cabinet, they all go nuts in the top front of the aquarium, waiting for food. They will do this, even if it has only been 10 minutes since their last meal.

sik80 08-24-2010 06:59 AM

i try to regularly feed live stuff. its just replicating what happens in nature constantly. plus i enjoy watching my fish chase daphnia or rotifers around the tank, which is their natural behaviour. the reality of nature is that it is a brutal evolutionary struggle for survival and animals eating other animals is an integral part of that

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 09:50 AM

Fish are very opportunistic eaters. If there is food available they will eat it, because in the wild they don't know when they're going to get their next meal. That said, I throw worms, crickets, ants, grasshoppers, ghost shrimp, snails, and other live foods to my puffers. :D It's a gorefest at my house. xD

Byron 08-24-2010 12:39 PM

As noted above, fish will eat when food is present. It is a real health problem to overfeed fish. Except for fry that need regular feedings to develop properly, fish only need one feeding a day, and even alternate days would do no harm whatever.

On live food, there is no doubt that it stimulates the fish. Frozen foods do something the same which is why they are so popular. Some fish cannot be spawned unless "conditioned" by live foods. Most of the fish we keep can manage fine without live food, they will be healthy and normal; unless you can provide a steady supply of live foods (and a variety) most of us rely on prepared (dry and frozen) which has good nutrition even if it does not stimulate some fish quite as much as live foods will. And variety is important in live foods too; the same single food all the time is not good nutrition. In the wild most fish I have read about have quite a varied diet.

aunt kymmie 08-24-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 454449)
On live food, there is no doubt that it stimulates the fish. Frozen foods do something the same which is why they are so popular. Some fish cannot be spawned unless "conditioned" by live foods.

This is most likely why I have a spawning pair of Discus. Of the mated pair the male won't eat anything but live food. When I first got him he only picked and prodded his food, swallowing only a few fresh frozen blood worms here and there. He always looked on the skinny side. I now order California Blackworms from a reputable vendor that are flown overnight to my door directly from the worm farm. One month later and my pair are spawning like crazy. :crazy:

thefishboy 08-24-2010 02:12 PM

I sometimes feed live food to my goldfish, they sometimes get daphnia (water flea), i used to think its mean but they are bread to be fed!
;-)

kitten_penang 08-24-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 454275)
Fish are very opportunistic eaters. If there is food available they will eat it, because in the wild they don't know when they're going to get their next meal. That said, I throw worms, crickets, ants, grasshoppers, ghost shrimp, snails, and other live foods to my puffers. :D It's a gorefest at my house. xD

can i add feeder fish like goldfish, carps, flying fish,wild guppies,mice,hamsters,birds,super worms,frogs, huge centipedes, geckos ^.^ anything goes for a predator. i din't throw a bird in but i found the feathers and parts of it in the tank :shock:

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 454537)
can i add feeder fish like goldfish, carps, flying fish,wild guppies,mice,hamsters,birds,super worms,frogs, huge centipedes, geckos ^.^ anything goes for a predator. i din't throw a bird in but i found the feathers and parts of it in the tank :shock:

Mine aren't quite big enough to be eatin' hamsters yet. :p

kitten_penang 08-24-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 454579)
Mine aren't quite big enough to be eatin' hamsters yet. :p

what are you keeping?

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-24-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 454584)
what are you keeping?

Green Spotted Puffers :3