Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   german ram breeding habits (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/german-ram-breeding-habits-5004/)

mr.bojangles 04-14-2007 10:57 AM

german ram breeding habits

hey last night i got a pair of german rams from work. as soon as i put them in my aquarium they paired up right away. this morning they were acting wierd,not a bad weird but a good 1, to me it looked like a courting ritual. the male was swimming to the side of the female and "kissing" her under belly. i hav limited ecperience with rams and im just wondering wat this could be. o and both are only an inch and a quarter

Lonewolfblue 04-14-2007 12:03 PM

You got it.... :)

They are pairing up....

mr.bojangles 04-14-2007 07:32 PM

i got 2 more females today, so wat there doing is ther courting? if so how long will it take for ther to be eggs. should i take them out? there in with 4 rams, 3 green cories, 3 khuli loaches, a pleco, 2 golden wonder killis, a clown loach, a dwarf catfish, and 3 dwarf neon rainbows

Lonewolfblue 04-14-2007 10:49 PM

Usually the parents will protect the eggs for a while, but if threatened, will eat the eggs and young. It's best if you want to breed them to remove the eggs. But for GBR's, it's not easy to raise the babies. I've only had success with a couple GBR's making it out of hundreds of eggs.

mr.bojangles 04-14-2007 10:55 PM

i havnt been able to find out anything about how to raise the fry, will they need live foor of with other things do. right now i am feeding my rams the hikari micro pellets (my fish get the good stuff so i only feed hikari) these pellets are tiny, less than 1/2 a mm.

ill probly try and raise them in my tank (extremely densly planted) and see wat happens for the first drop.

how long til a can expect babies?

Lonewolfblue 04-14-2007 11:37 PM

When they first hatch, about the only thing small enough for them to eat for the first couple weeks is egg yolk. Boil an egg, and take a little of the egg yolk and squish it in a cup or bowl of water, and take an eye dropper and squirt a little bit where the babies are. After about 2 weeks, then they are big enough to eat Hikari First Bites.

As for expecting babies, all depends on the parents. Once the eggs are layed, then it takes 3-7 days to hatch. Once hatched, it takes roughly 6-8 days til they are free-swimming.

mr.bojangles 04-14-2007 11:57 PM

ya i used to use egg yolk for my guppy fry. my rams r all at least 1.5" r they sexually mature ... if so wen can i expect babies

mr.bojangles 04-14-2007 11:59 PM

2 of the females have really pink bellies the smallest is not as pink

Lonewolfblue 04-15-2007 12:44 AM

Like I said above, it all depends on the fish as to when. And once they do start spawning, they will do it every 8-10 days if you are removing the eggs. If not, then a little longer between spawns. But for expecting it, just watch them. When they are ready, and they are true pairs, they will start. But it's on their time, not ours, lol.

mr.bojangles 04-15-2007 09:45 AM

thanx alot