Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Tank Dilemma (No time to Cycle!) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-dilemma-no-time-cycle-50031/)

hiimdavidchan 08-24-2010 02:27 AM

New Tank Dilemma (No time to Cycle!)

hey everyone, I just bought a used fish tank yesterday 55 Gal from someone that was fully established but to transport it the guy drained out all the water and everything I have read up a lot about the nitrogen cycle and everything but included with the deal were fish, 2 8" Oscars, 1 Father 5" Red Devil Cichlid and his 7 kids which are about 3 inches long, I transported them all home in a 10 gallon tank and i setup the 55 gallon with new water and left it for a day before I threw them in today, I really wanted do a good and proper cycle, but to keep these fish alive I felt the only way was to put them in this new uncycled tank but the ammonia levels are off the roof and the tank is really cloudy already, I have considered even donating them somewhere but what would be my best options to help them get through this? I so far out in "aqua safe" and AMQuel+ and plan to do that every 24 hrs as instructed, I have a fluval 305 filter with the old filters so hopefully there was some bacteria still and i put in 3 containers of carbon and 1 container of those white rocks, so please if anyone can help please! thank you all in advanced!

Byron 08-24-2010 03:30 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Sorry to hear you are having difficulties right off.

Obviously the tank is not cycled, so in this situation I would strongly suggest you get a bottle of bacterial supplement (live bacteria) to "seed" the tank. I recommend either Seachem's Stability or Tetra's SafeStart. Both are 100% live bacteria to jumpstart the cycling.

It still takes time, and with so many largish fish, expect to lose some. It can't be helped. Partial water changes of 50% daily, using a good conditioner (I recommend Seachem's Prime in these circumstances) plus one of the supplements is the best you can do. Good luck.

Byron.

1077 08-24-2010 04:30 AM

I agree with Byron but would submit that water changes may have to be twice daily, depending on results of test's for ammonia/nitrites.
This ain't gonna be fun with 55 gallon tank, and a tool such as Python if you don't already have one ,will make it a bit easier.
Would only feed these fish the bare minimum perhaps once every other day or even two days.
I would also be looking to re-home these fish for in my view, a 55 gallon tank with current residents,, will be a constant battle to provide water quality needed to ensure that the fish remain healthy and I would expect the Red devil to turn on the Oscars if not on the fry. In any event,,this ain't gonna work for long. I'm sorry but it is a fair certainty.

WisFish 08-24-2010 07:18 AM

You could add live plants because they do a good job of absorbing the ammonia. But with Oscars, they would get dug up damaged I imagine. You could try some Java ferns. But in the mean time, water changes are your only hope.

hiimdavidchan 08-24-2010 02:14 PM

cool, thank you everyone for such fast replies! I am going to be trying to do daily water changes of about 20-30 percent each day with Tetra Safe Start everyday and ill try to pick up some plants too. I want to find a way to give some of these fishes away to a better home because the father red devil has been attacking EVERYONE in the tank now, thanks again everyone! also should i get fluval water polishing pads too to make the water clear again and maybe let more bacteria live there too?

Byron 08-24-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiimdavidchan (Post 454581)
cool, thank you everyone for such fast replies! I am going to be trying to do daily water changes of about 20-30 percent each day with Tetra Safe Start everyday and ill try to pick up some plants too. I want to find a way to give some of these fishes away to a better home because the father red devil has been attacking EVERYONE in the tank now, thanks again everyone! also should i get fluval water polishing pads too to make the water clear again and maybe let more bacteria live there too?

The pads can't hurt for the start. Remember they give out quickly (as they absorb/adsorb stuff, just like carbon) but if left in past their usefulness for that (and assuming the water has cleared then) they would still be bacteria holders. I would change more than 30%, at least 50-70% if only one change or if two changes per day then 30%.

hiimdavidchan 08-30-2010 05:44 AM

awsome, thank you everyone for the great replies, I have been changing my water everyday since I got it and it seems to be getting better, some of my red devil cichlids developed some black spots from the ammonia i believe but I got an API nitrite and ammonia tester and they came out good for both, I am curious though why my water is still a yellowish tint though, I think some of it came from when i put in the gravel, can that be the situation? thanks again! also, I still plan on getting rid of most these fish, I just wanted them to be in a little better condition before I got rid of them.

kitten_penang 08-30-2010 06:02 AM

zeolites and active carbon will help by taking away the ammonia and other heavy metals in the tank. you'd be surprised at it's efficiency.

hiimdavidchan 08-30-2010 07:54 PM

awsome, ill try to put in some more carbon but today i just realized since I was about to put the rest of my gravel in that it might be the cause of whats making it cloudy, the water in my kind is a little bit yellow right now and I tested the pH level and its over 7.8 I believe this is because the gravel that was given to me was Crushed Coral so should I start taking it out and replacing it with another type of gravel? any reccomendations? thanks!

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-30-2010 08:15 PM

• Oscars need a waybigger tank