Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   All in one aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/all-one-aquariums-49981/)

bearwithfish 08-23-2010 12:45 PM

All in one aquariums

ok so i have been reading and researching and contemplating as many have read about a smaller tank, whether for frags or fowler or even a mini reef i am not sure yet but all of that aside at this point (i know bigger= better i have the 50 going) i have been looking at these all in one systems like the bio cube etc.... so me being the guy that i am came up with a plan for a DIY AIO system in this case it will be a 10 gallon tank.... it is actually in the works at the moment i have cut all the plexi (1/2 inch thick!!) and gave it all a good alcohol bath to be sure its nice and clean.....
now it is goint to have three chambers in the back section of the tank
overflow
fuge/skimmer
and return
the plexi is getting a bit of paint to keep it looking clean and the back will get painted all but one small spot for a light to accommodate the Macro that will go in there....
my first thought was to DIY a small skimmer to fit the small space but then i was thinking as this one gets W/C every week why bother and if i change my mind in the future i can always get a HOB skimmer if really needed.....

i was considering a Maxijet 400 as the pump for this one and a small heater (the non-adjustable kind)
the cover for the moment as i am in no rush to get this done will be a plexi top and i may harvest the lights off the 50 (they are small for the tank) to work in over this tank.. another option is to get one of those incandescent hoods and buy 2 50/50 bulbs...

so thoughts feed back and yes pix are coming as the steps get done

onefish2fish 08-23-2010 04:54 PM

i think id go with an adjustable heater.

kitten_penang 08-23-2010 04:59 PM

i love those tanks.it has a filter and skimmer at the back thats built in. an all in one tank. i used to have a nano like that.the back glass were black in color to hide the sump area.real cool. all it needed was the filter material like crushed coral,sponge,zeolites and a pump to pump the water back in. plug and play tank =)

Splinter492 08-23-2010 05:00 PM

yeah i agree with of2f on the heater but the over all idea very good!

bearwithfish 08-23-2010 08:39 PM

i was not sure on the heater myself it was based on what i have laying around.... but yeah i can see an adjustable one being a little better over all........

Splinter492 08-23-2010 08:54 PM

you should draw out some plans and post pics of them on here!

bearwithfish 08-23-2010 09:02 PM

i am more of a visualize and do it kind of guy... at this moment i have the parts cut and i am waiting on the poxi.. when i get ready to set it up i will post pix of the parts and a step by step of the assembly ....

Splinter492 08-23-2010 10:18 PM

okay! cant wait! i always love a new build! idc if its mine or not!

bearwithfish 08-30-2010 12:54 PM

ok so at this moment i am waiting to get out of work and do my first water test!!!! it came out really good.. i decided to not paint the false wall as i like to let the Coraline take over and this way if i want i can glue in smaller rock work all over the back if i want just before the final fill....

now i want to talk filtration i am sorta leaning to a small DIY air driven skimmer but as this area is so small and i dont plan on a lot of stock i dont think i will need it..i am thinking a sack of Carbon a sack of Chemi-Pure and i dont know about Macro at this time...perhaps in the display? i dont know i may just run nothing for a time and see what i have for needs.. with a 3 or 4 gallon change each week i may not need anything at all....
as for the pix i think i am really leaning toward entering this build of the 4 i have done this month so you will have to wait for the full write up...

trukgirl 08-30-2010 08:33 PM

I know you like to DIY a lot ;) ... but the skimmer I have in my 10g works great. AquaEuroUSA nano ... it IS in-tank and does take up some room though. I've been thinking about transferring it all into a 20g anyways. Heh.