Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish dying after water changes WHY!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-dying-after-water-changes-why-49923/)

nachole09 08-22-2010 04:25 PM

Fish dying after water changes WHY!?

Everytime I change the water in my 40 gl tank... at least two or three fish die. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Does anyone know what i could be doing to cause this. I am putting the chlorine remover in it. Just dont understand. :-(

aunt kymmie 08-22-2010 04:27 PM

Which water conditioner are you using, how much water are you changing out each time, and are you careful to match the new incoming water temperature with the current water temp in the tank?

kitten_penang 08-22-2010 04:32 PM

what fish are you keeping anyway?

nachole09 08-22-2010 04:44 PM

I did about 50% of the water today, i usually do about 30% of the water... but havent done it a couple days, so i decided to do a bigger one today. I have 4 tetras, 3 rasboras, 1 molly, 2 platys, and 4 guppys, oh and a catfish. An albino one. I usually refill the tank with the water hose... so its usually about the same temp, maybe a tad less then the tank.

aunt kymmie 08-22-2010 04:47 PM

What brand of water conditioner are you using?

Inga 08-22-2010 06:16 PM

Is the hose hooked up to your sink or at least a faucet that you can adjust the water temps? If you are all of a sudden adding cold water to the tank that could be why your fish are dying on you. Their body's cannot adjust to temperature changes so fast like that.

Also, if you are not adding a water conditioner like Prime each and every time you do a water change, that could be killing your fish. The Ammonia, Chlorine in the water needs the conditioner to take it out.

How many fish have you lost?

Byron 08-23-2010 12:57 PM

All points raised by previous members are correct. The questions they posted need answering. But also, there can be an issue with pH (and less hardness). Do you know the pH of your tap water, and your tank (they may not be the same)?

nachole09 08-23-2010 01:32 PM

Its some thio that my dad made up, he has been using with his water changes, im just going to pick up some prime today. Not sure about the water hardness, my dad will be checking the ph in my tap water today. He said the same thing yesterday. Thanks for the help. No the water hose isnt able to hook up to the sink faucet, from now on ill just get it out of the faucet or tub and put into a bucket ive been using only for fish. Thanks everyone, ive lost about six fish in two days :( Im taking my water in the tank to get checked today.

kitten_penang 08-23-2010 05:37 PM

so sorry on your loss =( hope you got the answers you were looking for