Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   My old fish are nipping at my new fish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/my-old-fish-nipping-my-new-49880/)

computzone 08-21-2010 09:47 PM

My old fish are nipping at my new fish.

I just bought 2 guppies one is a female the other a male. I put them into my tank following the proper instructions. It did not take long before my existing fish started to nip and corner my guppies. HELP i currently have 2 black skirt tetras and 1 comet gold fish.

Romad 08-22-2010 06:24 AM

What size tank are these fish in? Black skirt tetras should be kept in groups of 5 or more to keep stress and aggression down. And they will nip at the fins of fish with tempting tails (your guppys).

Can you rehome the guppys to a different tank? I would start there or bring the guppys back and get 3 or four more tetras for the existing tank.

kitten_penang 08-22-2010 07:23 AM

my black neon tetra never nipped y guppies before.i introduced the guppies first and then added 12 black neon and 6 fluorescent danions. no nipping until this day.but my tank is big and planted.

Romad 08-22-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 452707)
my black neon tetra never nipped y guppies before.i introduced the guppies first and then added 12 black neon and 6 fluorescent danions. no nipping until this day.but my tank is big and planted.

Your fish are in the right numbers and have hiding spots. That seems to make a whole world of difference :)

kitten_penang 08-22-2010 09:09 AM

my fish are funny too.the otto shoals with the black neons lol

Byron 08-22-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computzone (Post 452531)
I just bought 2 guppies one is a female the other a male. I put them into my tank following the proper instructions. It did not take long before my existing fish started to nip and corner my guppies. HELP i currently have 2 black skirt tetras and 1 comet gold fish.

What size is the tank? You should not have goldfish in with tropicals, their requirements are too different for either to be healthy. And you need more black skirts as Romad and kitten both correctly mentioned. A group of 6 is minimum for any tetra, but the size of your tank will have a bearing. And not with a goldfish.

You do realize that with a pair of guppies, you will have hundreds of fry on a regular basis?

Byron.

computzone 08-23-2010 02:18 PM

I know I will have a lot of offspring from my guppies. I also read that they make good treats for the other fish. I h ave a 30 gallon tank. The problem i mentioned earlier was solved by taking the old fish out of the tank for a while and putting them back in. Thanks for all of your help.