Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Aquarium Vs Home mixed saltwater. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/aquarium-vs-home-mixed-saltwater-4986/)

nbassis 04-13-2007 05:23 PM

Aquarium Vs Home mixed saltwater.

Did not know where to post this so i decided here. I live in hawaii and I am able to get my slt water from the local aquarium. Which is great, saves me time and money. Also the fish love. it. My question is I was reading somewher eonline this guy who gets water from an aquarium but does a 60/40 min of aquarium/home mixed water. What if any are the benefits of mixing water yourself. Is there anythhing that mixed water has that real water does not?

Age of Aquariums 04-13-2007 09:34 PM

I mix my own water.

caferacermike 04-15-2007 09:47 AM

Nbasis could you elaborate more so that others might completely understand your question/statement.

Is the water coming from an aquarium shop or do mean local public aquarium? If it's coming from a public aquarium that is a unique situation.

All of the local shops around me sell "premix" some even offer different brands of salt. All of them sell RO/Di water as well. There really isn't any difference between buying it premixed or mixing it yourself. If buying premix do so with the intent of using it quickly. Once mixed theory says it is good forever if covered and contained properly, I'm one of those believers. However much debate is going on as to how long you should store the water as carbon deoxide can cause changes to PH and CA levels. The thought is that if it sits around long enough it's chemical composition could change.

The main difference is usually price. It is cheaper to buy a quality salt and mix it at home. Also the shop you buy from could be using the cheapest salt mix possible, reefers tend to like a more specific salt mix that has elevated MG, and CA levels.

nbassis 04-16-2007 03:16 PM

I have the unique situation. Living in Hawaii we have the ability to go to the local qaurium not the local fish shop and get water for a small yearly membership fee. This water is pumped directly from the ocean and cleaned. It is the same water the the Waikiki aquarium uses for its tanks.

So my question is. Does the water that you all mix up have any added benefit for the system then water i get from the aquarium. Should i think about doing a mixture of both kind. Or should i just stick with what i am doing.

Age of Aquariums 04-17-2007 01:42 PM

You said it cost you $60 right?

nbassis 04-17-2007 02:15 PM

yes $60 a year for unlimited salt water from the aquarium.

Andre 04-17-2007 02:33 PM

wow, you have a unique situation is right. i would do a 100.

caferacermike 04-20-2007 09:04 PM

Do that yearly membership. What a deal. I spend $70 every other month on buckets of salt. That does not include the original $700 for my RO/DI unit, filter replacement or huge water bills.

Age of Aquariums 04-23-2007 04:11 PM

I only pay $40 for a 5 gallon bucket with 160 gallons worth of salt.

usmc121581 04-23-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Age of Aquariums
I only pay $40 for a 5 gallon bucket with 160 gallons worth of salt.

Yeah but I have known CRM for a while now and he has one tank that is bigger then all your tanks combined. THats why he spends so much on salt a month.