Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Whats wrong with undergravels. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/whats-wrong-undergravels-4981/)

nbassis 04-13-2007 01:41 PM

Whats wrong with undergravels.

I understand they are outdated. But what is the problem with them, the way i see it the more filteration the better. I understand using live rock is the key, but in hawaii we cannot use live rock. I have been using an undergravel in one of my tanks for 3 years and had not problems with it.

herefishy 04-13-2007 03:18 PM

First of all let me say that I am not a saltwater person. However, I do run ugf's an many of my tanks. Some are air powered, some with powerheads, some by powerheads running reverse flow which I have found to be most efficient. By running reverse flow, I have found that the substrate becomes less compacted and also requires fewer and less intense gravel sweeps. Air powerered ugf's I believe are archaic and very inefficient. However, some smaller tanks do weel uing them. I do not use ten as a stand alone system but as a part of multiple filtering systems. In other words, I use various other filter types, canisters, power filters(both external and internal) to provide filtration for my tanks.

nbassis 04-13-2007 03:37 PM

Currently I have one 400 GPH powerhead on mine, and am going to instal a second and switch them every 6 to 8 hours to create a tide effect. I read on one of these that UG's are a "ticking time bomb". Whats this about. I do not run it alone, as you can see from my tanks, listed below, i have many other system son the tank as well.

usmc121581 04-13-2007 03:45 PM

Whats bad about them. They trap depris, which inturns produces nitrites and nitrates requiring you to remove it and clean it. And every bdy that knows its a pain in the you know what to tear apart your tank to clean it. For a saltwater tank the best filtratin is natural filteration. What I mean by that is live rock, live sand, and sme micr algea in the sump. Also to help them out a nice skimmer.

herefishy 04-13-2007 03:46 PM

The ticking time bomb comes from the fact that they have a problem with bacteria die off if not properly maintained. This is probably the main reason I went to reverse flow. The die off usually occurs when the substrate becomes so compacted that the bacteria cannot breath. This usually happens when using powerheads of large gph output. Reverse flow wouldn't work in your case because of you using the powerhead output to simulate tidal movement.

trreherd 04-13-2007 03:48 PM

im just curious, y cant you use live rock in hawia?

usmc121581 04-13-2007 03:50 PM

I know its illegal to get it out the water in the United states as before when they were getting it they took t much so they banned it, but didnt know its illegal to even buy.

nbassis 04-13-2007 03:56 PM

ITs illegal because they do not want to have outside things shipped to hawaii. They are worried it will damage the enivronemtn here. You know bringing in outside creates that will throw off the ecosystem.

But i am going to try and do it anyway. We will see, but shipping is a female dog. I check and a 23 pound box overnighted is 127 dollars via UPS. and it still might not get here for two days.

usmc121581 04-13-2007 03:59 PM

Thats would make sense because micro algea is illagal to sell in california for the same reason.