Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Problem CAE. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/problem-cae-49808/)

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-20-2010 06:21 PM

Problem CAE.

My uncle bought a CAE about 8 months ago and not only has he shown a substantial growth in inches (from approx. 1 inch to approx. 4 inches >.>,) but also a substantial growth in attitude. He's currently housed in a 30 gallon with:

5 Neon Tetras,
5 Glowlight Tetras,
3 Scissortail Rasboras,
3 Gold/Blue 3 Spot Gouramis,
1 Striped Raphael Catfish
3 Wag Platys

I can only describe his relationship with his fellow tank mates as... tense. He's on guard 100% of the time and ready to fight 100% of the time. If anyone even comes close to him he will chase and attack them. The only fish he respects are the Raphael, and the Gouramis... Probably because they're still bigger than him. He also can't catch the Rasboras, but the rest are fair game.

What should I do with this guy? I only have 4 tanks, 10g juvi. GSP tank (temporary), 10g Blackwater (SA Biotope plants/livestock), 10g clearwater (SE Asia swamp plants/livestock) and a WIP 55g that won't be ready for fish for a while (brackish; will house GSPs/other aggressive meanies). None of these are REALLY suitable for him, but I'm thinking of throwing him with the Juvi. GSPs. Any opinions?

PS: Me and my uncle live in the same house. I'm upstairs, he's downstairs.

Russell 08-20-2010 08:38 PM

He's not defending his territory he's eating. CAE's actually feed off the slime coat of other fish in their adult stages. Unlike the rest of your fish, the CAE is a true fast-moving stream fish. It is built to swim against strong currents and hold onto rocks with its sucker mouth in stronger current. It is much faster than really any fish in the trade and it has no business with peaceful community fish. Unfortunately, its aggressive algae consumption as a juvenile has allowed it to enter many a tank only to become a problem. Because, he is hunting your fish and not defending his territory there isn't any environmental solution. The only way to keep with other fish is with tough aggressive fish. I wouldn't with GSP's they don't swim near fast enough to defend themselves. I've kept with cichlids but traded it in because it wasn't the best situation for the fish. I would trade it in if you've got an LFS that will give you credit. All the CAE stories I've heard including my own end in trade-ins or tragedy.

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-20-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell (Post 451903)
He's not defending his territory he's eating. CAE's actually feed off the slime coat of other fish in their adult stages. Unlike the rest of your fish, the CAE is a true fast-moving stream fish. It is built to swim against strong currents and hold onto rocks with its sucker mouth in stronger current. It is much faster than really any fish in the trade and it has no business with peaceful community fish. Unfortunately, its aggressive algae consumption as a juvenile has allowed it to enter many a tank only to become a problem. Because, he is hunting your fish and not defending his territory there isn't any environmental solution. The only way to keep with other fish is with tough aggressive fish. I wouldn't with GSP's they don't swim near fast enough to defend themselves. I've kept with cichlids but traded it in because it wasn't the best situation for the fish. I would trade it in if you've got an LFS that will give you credit. All the CAE stories I've heard including my own end in trade-ins or tragedy.

The GSPs have beaks though.. and there are 2 of them. >.> They usually own any feeder fish/shrimp within seconds o.o

Also don't know any fish stores that would give me credit ATM.

Byron 08-21-2010 11:54 AM

I would recommend you remove the CAE even if it means having to destroy it; I have had to do this a couple of times. An aggressive fish in any tank is going to cause stress to the other fish by its very presences, even if it does not physically attack them. And stress weakens the fish's immune system, which means the other fish will soon be coming down with problems that would otherwise not occur. It is just not worth the risk.