Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Non- plant eating snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/non-plant-eating-snails-49758/)

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 08-19-2010 10:53 PM

Non- plant eating snails
 
I really want to have some snails in my tank but I'm afraid they are gonna eat my plants.
Is there any snails out there that never eat plants?

1077 08-20-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 451238)
I really want to have some snails in my tank but I'm afraid they are gonna eat my plants.
Is there any snails out there that never eat plants?

Trumpet snails (malaysian).

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 08-20-2010 12:52 AM

if I buy 25 off ebay for my 55 gallon, will they multiply like crazy?

1077 08-20-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 451288)
if I buy 25 off ebay for my 55 gallon, will they multiply like crazy?

Population of these snails and most others,is in direct proportion to the amount of food available.
So long as you don't overfeed the fishes,then the numbers of snails will remain manageable.
If lot's of food is available,then lot's of snails .

bones14 08-20-2010 11:36 AM

Nerite snails are good algae eating snails as well and they don't multiply in freshwater.

Inga 08-20-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones14 (Post 451543)
Nerite snails are good algae eating snails as well and they don't multiply in freshwater.


What good are Mystery Snails? I hope they are alright, that is what I was told when I bought them.:roll:

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-20-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 451711)
What good are Mystery Snails? I hope they are alright, that is what I was told when I bought them.:roll:

The same "good" as fish? They're just another livestock option...

bones14 08-20-2010 04:26 PM

Mystery snails are good for helping keep the tank clean too.They need a male and a female to mulitply.I have a Gold Mystery snail along with Nerite snails.The Gold is bigger and to me is very interesting to watch.

Inga 08-20-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones14 (Post 451726)
Mystery snails are good for helping keep the tank clean too.They need a male and a female to mulitply.I have a Gold Mystery snail along with Nerite snails.The Gold is bigger and to me is very interesting to watch.


I didn't get to see any Gold ones. All they had at the pet store were black and whites. I took one of each. The white one is out and about more and is definitely interesting to watch, the black, I never see. I was shocked to see how quickly they can snap their door shut if they feel threatened. Also, seeing him/her scooting down the glass at quite a fast pace. I always thought they were extremely slow but this guy can cruise and also get into some interesting places.

Yes, QUITE interesting, in fact.

bones14 08-20-2010 04:32 PM

Click on my aquariums.I have a couple of shots of my gold one in my 37g.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2